Tinu, I sincerely apologise for the way you took my reply. What I meant is lets 
not make the event look like a chapter hosted event, why can't be en wp (unless 
some situation like coimbatore happens. I really have seen you guys working 
hard. A really clean site like the current one doesn't come from nowhere. But, 
I felt moving it en wp to Wikimedia.in will be of any great use. Bangalore wiki 
meet ups are the places where I started from, and I never felt it's bad for the 
other languages. I still think it's essential to have the meet ups in en wp.

Sent from my iPhone

On 10-Feb-2012, at 5:52 PM, CherianTinu Abraham <[email protected]> wrote:

> Subhashish, I guess you have got it wrong. 
> 
> Since you had asked me this off-list earlier and I was unavailable to 
> comment, let me clarify your doubts here. 
> 
> The intention to move the meetup pages to wiki.wikimedia.in is to not to 
> increase the popularity of the "chapter wiki", but to keep the meetup and 
> academy pages in a centralized space for most of the Wikimedia activities in 
> India.  Request to not fall into assumptions. 
> 
> Please note that I personally started contributing aggressively to 
> wiki.wikimedia.in even before I became a member of the chapter let alone a 
> board member. We hosted the India Community newsletter "WikiPatrika" on 
> wiki.wikimedia.in because we believed in a centralized space for all 
> Wikimedia activities in India. 
> 
> There was an increasing misconception that Bangalore Wikimeetups is 
> essentially becoming a English Wiki-meetup, because of its existence on 
> English Wikipedia. You must have seen your request to create Coimbatore 
> Meetup page on en.wiki was rejected and was instead created on meta, so that 
> it more neutral to Tamil editors. [1]
> 
> The first Wiki meetup in Bangalore , which Jimbo Wales attended was primarily 
> an English Wikipedian meetup in 2006. [2]. When I started the regular meetups 
> in 2009 , I followed suit to create a page on English Wikipedia only [3]. But 
> over time, at least a few of lndic language Wikipedians, have told that it is 
> becoming a primarily English Wikipedia Meetup due to event page on en.wiki 
> and also the contents of the talks.  There is another school of thought that 
> it should be hosted in Kannada Wikipedia, as it is happening in Bangalore. I 
> don't see even a single meetup page hosted on Commons, the Wikimedia 
> repository, as you say.
> 
> The other option was to move to meta, ( Like London Meetups [4] ) but 
> awareness of meta wiki in India is very less. You might have also noticed 
> that other meetups around the world are moving away from being hosted on 
> en.wiki [5]. The other problem is to orally publicize the meetup pages to 
> others. Definitely http://en.wikipedia.org/WP:MBL42 is less confusing than 
> wiki.wikimedia.in/Bangalore. I am trying to see if we can redirect 
> wikimedia.in/Bangalore to wiki.wikimedia.in/Bangalore so that it will be more 
> helpful for many.  
> 
> The wiki.wikimedia.in is an Indian Wikimedia Community wiki ( although it 
> hosts lots of chapter information for the public), editable by anyone. There 
> is an another restricted members wiki at members.wikimedia.in . Anyone can 
> create an account on Wiki.wikimedia.in . The reason why editing was 
> restricted to only email confirmed registered users, was to prevent spam. It 
> take less than 30 sec to create an account and get the email confirmed on 
> wiki.wikimedia.in  . In spite of this, me , Gautam ,Naveen and Tanvir ( not 
> even an Indian)  are fighting daily with blocking spam bot accounts, which 
> are creating hundreds of accounts and spam pages every month. If we have 
> enough volunteers to fight spam on wiki.wikimedia.in , I see no problem is 
> making it editable for non-registered users. Feel free to volunteer and help 
> us.  
> 
> Last, no body is forcing anyone to move to wiki.wikimedia.in. Let the local 
> communities decide.  
> 
> Please understand that I am not forgetting your great contributions to 
> Bangalore community and meetups. We are sincerely thankful for your great 
> efforts and still cherish them... We deeply miss you in Bangalore. 
> 
> Regards
> Tinu Cherian 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Notes
> 1)  
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/2012-February/006820.html
> 2)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Bangalore/Bangalore1 
> 3)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Bangalore/Bangalore3
> 4)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/London 
> 5)  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Meetup_list 
> 
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Subhashish Panigrahi <[email protected]> 
> wrote:
> +1 with Anirudh.
> 
> I completely understand that the chapter need to reach people, but the goal 
> is bring more active editors and not increasing popularity of the chapter.
> 
> An article in en wp has more visibility and users can easily sign up, the 
> question which will arise in a newbie is:
> 
>  - Do I need to become a member of Wikimedia India to sign up for this event 
> or edit Wikipedia?
>  - Just because the chapter is located in Blore, all the academy which 
> involves participation of chapter members are posted in a Wiki page which 
> shows "source" instead of "Edit"?
> 
> IMHO pls post the academies in a single place (en wp) will be the best place, 
> if it is for a language then let that be in the language WP, else if it's for 
> commons then let it be in Commons.
> 
> On 10 February 2012 14:53, Anirudh Bhati <[email protected]> wrote:
> I think it would be a good idea to keep the English Wikipedia updated as 
> well.  That is likely to attract the attention of those contributors who are 
> not as deeply involved with Wikimedia India.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> anirudh
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-in-blr mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-in-blr
> 
> Subha
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-in-blr mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-in-blr
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-in-blr mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-in-blr
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-in-blr mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-in-blr

Reply via email to