In reply to  Eric Walker's message of Sat, 11 May 2013 18:04:19 -0700:
Hi Eric,

I think your summation is quite good.

>Very interesting discussion.  If can summarize the main points in my own
>words, it would be something like this -- for a hypothetical heavy water
>electrolytic system in which watts of prompt alphas are being produced in a
>palladium cathode by way of a hypothetical d+d+Pd?4He+Pd + Q (22.9 MeV
>kinetic energy) reaction, you can expect the following:
>
>   - There will be plenty of spallation neutrons due to collisions between
>   alphas and heavy water molecules, where the deuterium nuclei are broken
>   apart. These neutrons will either escape the system or activate the
>   surrounding material, resulting in easily detectable gammas.
>   - (To add Hagelstein's point, if I have understood it: in addition,
>   prompt alphas can be expected to collide with deuterium nuclei in the
>   cathode, and deuterium nuclei in the cathode scattered by alphas can be
>   expected to collide with one another, providing an additional source of
>   neutrons.)
>   - The number of spallation neutrons can be expected to be large, since
>   it takes only a fraction of the energy of an alpha with 22.9 MeV to break
>   apart a deuterium nucleus.
>   - There would also be x-rays, with a peak in the 3 keV range.  These
>   x-rays will be stopped before leaving the system.
>   - The doubling of the radiation level above background described in an
>   earlier post would be easy to detect, although there would be some
>   subtleties relating to the specific detector that is used.
>
>For the mean free paths of 3 keV x-rays, I get small numbers: 46 microns in
>water, 2 microns in palladium and 6.2 cm in air.  So it seems pretty clear
>that the x-rays are unlikely to make it to a detector after traversing the
>outer layer of palladium, the heavy water and the glass.
>
>On the basis of all of this, I'm wondering if it is safe to conclude the
>following:  any radiation exiting a system of this kind involving fast
>alphas would be attributable solely to neutrons (spallation and fusion) and
>the activation gammas they lead to, and to inelastic collisions between
>alphas and other nuclei and the resulting gammas.  Any other radiation can
>be expected to be quenched and to be undetectable apart from a general
>increase in temperature of the system.  Is this conclusion too broad?
>
>Just to call out two important assumptions here:
>
>   - Prompt alphas will escape from the cathode and make it into the heavy
>   water at still-high energies.
>   - Prompt alphas travelling within a palladium lattice will scatter a
>   significant number of deuterium nuclei, and a significant number of fast
>   deuterium nuclei will scatter with one another; i.e., there is no mechanism
>   that somehow segregates the locations of the two types of nuclei into
>   separate channels.
>
>Eric
>
>
>On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 3:37 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>In reply to  Eric Walker's message of Fri, 10 May 2013 17:05:05 -0700:
>> Hi,
>> [snip]
>>
>> In the situation you describe, there are going to be lots of spallation
>> neutrons, because you only need 2.2 MeV to break a deuterium nucleus into a
>> proton and a neutron, and heavy water is all deuterium. It's going to be a
>> prime
>> source of neutrons, as Jones is fond of pointing out. ;)
>>
>> So far from creating a situation where there will be less neutrons, you
>> have in
>> fact created one where there will be more.
>>
>> In fact this a good reason for suggesting that CF in the D/Pd experiments
>> is not
>> mediated by (very) fast alphas.
>>
>> Neutrons combining with the glass, or the cathode will produce gammas. (The
>> neutron capture cross section of heavy water itself is quite low, which is
>> why
>> it's used as a moderator/coolant in some reactors.)
>>
>>
>> >On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 3:21 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> >In short, very roughly, a 1 W unshielded power source would double the
>> >> background rate.
>> >>
>> >
>> >Thank you for the numbers.  Twice background doesn't sound like all that
>> >much; presumably this is near the threshold of detection, and a signal
>> >would be easy to swamp out with noise?
>> >
>> >The alphas would be Ron's alphas, at 22.9 MeV.  I'm trying a thought
>> >experiment where the secondary spallation neutrons are somehow minimized
>> --
>> >I don't have an explanation for why this would be the case at this point,
>> >but I'm curious anyway.  The setup I'm thinking of is something like this:
>> >
>> >  |   air   |   glass   |   heavy water   |   cathode surface   |   active
>> >region   |   cathode interior   |
>> >
>> >Here the cathode surface is assumed to be very thin.  In the scenario I'm
>> >trying to better understand, where the spallation neutrons are somehow
>> >avoided, I'm wondering what the activity would like like from the vantage
>> >point at the far left, at "air".  The alphas could potentially travel for
>> >quite a while through the cathode before encountering a lattice site, I
>> >think I remember reading, during which time they will dissipate energy by
>> >way of low-level EMF.  I assume that EMF will be stopped by the cathode
>> >surface, the heavy water and the glass, before reaching the air -- is this
>> >a mistaken assumption?
>>
>> No, in fact all of it will be stopped by the free electrons in the
>> cathode(surface). Note however that we are specifically talking about UV
>> and
>> lower energy levels here. High energy X-rays &/or gamma rays will escape
>> easily.
>>
>> > Like you say, there will no doubt be inelastic
>> >collisions, metastable nuclei and gammas.  But assuming little neutron
>> >activation, do you have a sense of what the activity would be like outside
>> >of this kind of "shielding"?
>>
>> Aside from the effects caused by spallation neutrons, I doubt you would
>> see much
>> from a purely alpha reaction such as Ron's.
>>
>> I say this because apart from previously mentioned things, the only other
>> form
>> of energy that is likely to escape the cell is high energy X-rays, and to
>> create
>> these, you need high energy electrons. The highest energy electron you can
>> create in a head on collision with a 23 MeV alpha is M_e/M_alpha x 23 MeV
>> = 3152
>> eV. Even if all of the kinetic energy of such an electron is converted
>> into a
>> maximum energy X-ray through the bremsstrahlung mechanism (and it rarely
>> is),
>> you only get a 3 keV X-ray, which is not very penetrating. I'll leave it
>> up to
>> you to figure out the mean free path and transmission fraction in the
>> various
>> materials of 3 keV X-rays.
>>
>>
>> >
>> >The question I'm trying to get at is whether we can say for sure that the
>> >number of energetic particles (in this case alphas) in the cold fusion
>> >experiments is not commensurate with heat.
>>
>> I think most (>99%) of the energy from the alphas would convert to heat in
>> the
>> cell. Note however that a doubling of the background rate is easily
>> detected,
>> especially if it turns on and off with the cell, and BTW so is a neutron
>> production rate of that magnitude, if you are using neutron detectors.
>>
>> I said in a previous post a few weeks back that Geiger counters were not
>> particularly good at detecting neutrons, however I forgot about the prompt
>> gammas which would be internally generated in the Geiger counter, so I
>> would now
>> expect them to be more sensitive than I first thought, but the sensitivity
>> would
>> depend on the precise elements, quantities and geometry used in their
>> manufacture, and therefore would vary from one brand/type to the next.
>> [snip]
>> Regards,
>>
>> Robin van Spaandonk
>>
>> http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html
>>
>>
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html

Reply via email to