On May 6, 2013, at 6:49 PM, Eric Walker wrote:

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Edmund Storms <[email protected]> wrote:

Eric, ALL nuclear reactions generate heat. Alpha emission is a nuclear reaction. Therefore, heat was generated.

Ha. Yes, I stand corrected. I think I had "excess heat" in mind. Also, Jed brings up a good point about the CR-39 trials -- we don't know one way or another. If Abd were here, it would be very difficult to discuss the CR-39 trials, because he'd complain about every little point one tries to make. ;)

We know that when large amounts of heat are detected, alpha emission at a comparable rate does not occur. Clearly, large heat production and alpha emission are not related.

I'm afraid we keep on going around in circles on this point. You are assering that prompt alphas comparable to the heat that is generated are not produced, and I'm trying to figure out what the basis is for your assertion. Until I have convinced myself that this is correct on the basis of something other than your assertion, I won't be able to follow you to your conclusion of slow helium formation. I think it's not as bad as when we started -- I now have some more details to work with and Hagelstein's papers to read.

Eric, you need to consider some basic requirements. If an energetic particle is produced, such as an alpha, a second particle must be present to carry away the momentum. That is why when He is produced by hot fusion, either a gamma is emitted as the second particle or the He fragments into two particles. In the case of cold fusion, no gamma is emitted and the He does not fragment. Therefore, a new mechanism must operate to carry away the momentum while keeping the He intact and without producing a detectable gamma. This is the unique behavior of CF, which has lead to its rejection. You simply can not produce a single particle with high kinetic energy without the energy being shared with another particle. The He produced by CF shows no evidence for a second particle.

In addition, an upper limit exists to hte energy of an alpha, calculated by Peter, above which the alpha would produce detectable secondary radiation.

The various theories all try to find a way for this energy-momentum to be lost gradually in the form of photons or phonons that are too weak to be detected. Such a process, once started, must drain all the mass- energy out of the He. This is not just my opinion, but the opinion of everyone who has studied the process.

Ed Storms

And NO, helium can not be produced by a reaction that sometimes makes alpha and sometimes releases He without kinetic energy. Such a reaction is too improbable to be seriously considered.

You've gone further than I can go yet. :) I haven't convinced myself that there's ever 4He formation without kinetic energy.

Eric


Reply via email to