At 09:50 AM 9/26/2012, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <<mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]> keeps saying thing like this, which I find a little tiresome:

Okay, an anomaly. Very important point: anomaly does not equal cold fusion. It means something unexplained.

If the level of heat is high, it may indicate a nuclear effect. I don't think that is the case here. The heat is simply unexplained.


Fleischmann and I disagree, for reasons I believe Lomax is familiar with.

Please don't recruit Fleischmann to your own personal cause. I'm not disagreeing with Fleischmann, he's acknowledged his error in the original announcement.

After I wrote the commentary below, I came to see clearly how my expression confused Jed. I was not saying that the effect was not nuclear. I was saying that the heat was not "high." That's based on an assumption that this is the Arata effect, which generally shows low heat. If the heat were high, calorimetry could strongly indicate nuclear from the sheer level of it. This would be *circumstantial evidence.* If low, though, that's not so strong. There might still be some chemistry going on. And there is chemistry involved in these experiments, that's what kept Kidwell from just jumping for "nuclear."

This point, taken from legitimate skepticism, should be noted: a heat effect is not clearly nuclear unless there is clearly nuclear evidence for it. Examples of nuclear evidence would be transmuted elements or radiation, correlated with the effect.

 They are:

1. Heat beyond the limits of chemistry in a cell with no chemical transformations can only be explained as a nuclear effect. No other heat effect is known to science. Perhaps it is shrinking hydrogen or some other exotic new thing, but I doubt it.

Anomaly means an unknown effect. An unknown effect must be due to space aliens. No, Zero Point Energy. No, hydrinos. No, systematic experimental error. No, damn it! nuclear reactions.

2. We assume that Kidwell observed the same phenomenon as other people have seen with hydrides. It is unreasonable to assume there are many different, unrelated, heretofore undiscovered anomalous heat generating phenomena in hydrides. (McKubre's conservation of miracles.)

Conservation of miracles is not a scientific law, it is a heuristic, sometimes useful. I assume the same thing, though, about Kidwell's work.


3. In other experiments, the heat has been correlated with helium. Again, it is reasonable to assume that it correlates in this experiment as well, even thought that has not been measured.

Since this was a deuterium experiment, like Arata, I indeed assume that heat will be correlated with helium. Therefore, if there is some doubt about the effect being nuclear, it becomes highly advisable to test for helium. If there is correlated helium, the effect is nuclear. If not, it is very likely, in this case, something else. *But I don't expect that outcome. Helium is very likely to be correlated with the heat, that is my very point.*

Jed, you completely missed the point.

You do not need to start from scratch and prove every single aspect of cold fusion in every single experiment. The helium means this is fusion.

Yes. That's not totally conclusive, for helium can be produced by fission or nuclear decay. But with a PdD experiment, as Kidwell was, and if the heat/helium ratio can be nailed to within experimental error of 23.8 MeV, the evidence becomes extremely strong that the reaction is some kind of deuterium fusion. That is all the more reason to make the measurements, because every experiment that confirms heat/helium nails another nail in the pseudoskeptical criticism that this has not been confirmed widely enough. It serves, then, two purposes, confirming the calorimetry and generally confirming (or disconfirming, we need to remember that this is at least theoretically possible) the heat/helium ratio, our strongest clue that the reaction is, indeed, deuterium fusion and not some other nuclear reaction.

Whatever else it may be, it is also fusion. The WL theory is pretty much the same as fusion as far as I can see. Those who disagree are quibbling, like people who say that Shakespeare did not write his plays; it was another man of the same name.

I'll be specific about the "quibble." Widom and Larsen attempt to explain helium through a series of reactions that essentially take deuterium, convert it to neutrons, which can then enter nuclei and form transmuted products, with this ending up as helium. (There are tons of problems with this theory, but I won't go there now). I've made the point that this is, indeed, fusion, as to what it accomplishes. The *result* is fusion. The mechanism is different. And that's why I say "deuterium fusion through an unknown mechanism."

You will notice that those who denounce the "fusion" in cold fusion, but who support LENR, consistently interpret "fusion" as meaning "d-d fusion," the specific isolated reaction. That fusion might proceed through different pathways seems to be beyond them. This is really the same mistake as was made by the early skeptics, who thought that, for example, cold fusion was disproven by the findings that there were very few neutrons, if any, coming off these cells. After all, if it was fusion, there must be neutrons! (And I've seen that exact argument.) It's a non sequitur. If it's the known d-d reaction, the argument is at least somewhat sound. Storms disagrees, but that's another matter. But what if it is something else? (And, my opinion, it quite likely is.)

These are not laws of physics. They are reasonable assumptions. We assume the unity of nature.

Yes. However, we also know that nature is incredible diverse. Every living thing is a collection of miracles.

We assume that a phenomenon seen in one experiment is probably the same one seen in similar experiments under similar conditions.

Right. But "similar" is made up, typically arbitrary. Some of the *rejection* of cold fusion was based on the dissimilarity of results. Once the thought-barrier was down, people started looking at all kinds of possibly related things, and there was some level of assumption that this must be the same reaction. It's a Procrustean bed.

There *may* be a single mechanism, or there might be two, or many. It is possible that there is more than one mechanism operating in even a single experiment. Yes, we make the simplifying assumptions that Jed refers to, but we must always remember that they *are* assumptions, and if they don't fit the data, we don't toss the data. Instead, we look at whether or not a different set of assumptions predicts the data better.

The mechanism behind NiH might be the same or different than the mechanism behind PdD. It's certainly different in *some way*! And biological transmutation, per Vysotskii, might be yet another mechanism. Now, the mechanisms might have *some similarity." I'd say that's somewhat likely. But the way forward is to elucidate *any one of them* If the mechanism for that single reaction is then found to predict the other behaviors, great! This is where Occam's Razor applies. But if it does not, Occam's Razor actually suggests that a different mechanism is involved.

Again, here, we were talking about the possibility of confirming the heat results of Kidwell by measuring helium. That's simple sense. Jed, I think, misinterpreted it to mean that I was questioning whether or not helium would be found matching the heat. My *expectation* is that it would be found. However, we don't do experimental science holding expecations in mind, and as much as possible we set them aside. It's a philosophy of science thing. Expectations can influence results, in too many ways. That's why Miles had the helium analyses done blind. He knew the possible problem.

Heavy expectations can heavily influence how one treats the data. If there is a result that does not conform to expectations, there is a strong tendency to want to toss it as being due to some error, and sometimes there is an excuse. That is why we attempt to define the protocol and the interpretation *in advance.* Later, one might speculate on results with data selection, but that is only done, legitimately, to set up proposals for further testing. Otherwise it's way too dangerous. I have seen way too many people go seriously astry by post hoc analysis.

("If we were to set aside the results from experiment 797 as the result of some error, we see that we have a very close match to 23.8 MeV, the theoretical value for any form of deuterium fusion, for without that single outlier, the results are 24 +/- 0.5 MeV. We intend to run another series to confirm this ratio, if possible." Or something like that.)

That is true even when we cannot explain the phenomenon. We assume that conventional explanations are more likely than radically new hypotheses.

Yes. The point?

I assume, for example, and for simplicity, that the FPHE reaction is not "d-d fusion." That's rebuttable, because there might be some d-d reaction that proceeds very differently from hot fusion and muon-catalyzed fusion, both of which have the same branching ratio, i.e., we'd be seeing the "dead graduate student" effect.

More likely, though, it's something different. I'm personally betting on condensates that are on the lines of what Takahashi has studied through the application of quantum field theory. But that theory is not fully developed. No theory is.

*We don't know.*

Reply via email to