At 01:47 PM 3/16/2010, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

As Mr. Swartz pointed out, the concentration of oxygen at the cathode is zero. So we have to imagine an oxygen bubble somehow making it from the anode to the cathode, contrary to two flows, the flow of deuterium gas is away from the cathode, but the flow could carry oxygen from below the cathode to the cathode -- how would it get down there? --

I know four ways to do this:

Yeah, they are pretty obvious. But as you implied, "Why do that?"

1. With intense mixing some oxygen may reach the cathode.

2. Pump the electrolyte through the cell, like the Patterson cell. I believe the oxygen damaged the cathode beads in this configuration.

3. Put the cathode above the anode. The bubbles rise and attach to it. I have seen people make cells with this configuration. Why they did that, I cannot imagine.

4. With glow discharge electrolysis at intense heat some of the water decomposes at the cathode. A mixture of hydrogen and oxygen leaves the cell from cathode. Mizuno confirmed this by separating the cathode and anode with a glass hood: a funnel placed with the large end down over the cathode, with the anode on the outside. I expect some of the oxygen reaches the cathode.

I can say that I thought of lining the bottom of the cell with part of the anode, hoping that palladium that falls off the cathode might end up redissolving. Probably wouldn't. This would have, of course, caused oxygen to bubble past the cathode. I don't think it would have done much of anything, though. I suspect that the bubbles would not actually reach the cathode, they would merely get very close, and if they did touch the cathode, I would expect immediate reaction, steam, that would self-limit, the bubble would have to be actually trapped in some way to totally react. I don't think it would get hot enough to ignite what little mixture was formed of deuterium and oxygen; but I suppose some bubbles of oxygen might merge with bubbles of deuterium and form an explosive mixture. Small pop, that's all. The deuterium trapped in the cathode is effectively deuterium at very high pressure, and there is nothing there to oxidize it, it would tend to repel any rapidly oxidizing material at the surface. It can't explode from oxidation. And unless you get a lot of oxygen going to the cathode, perhaps a cell could be designed to cause this, it would slowly burn depending on the rate at which oxygen was being generated, which isn't high. To melt palladium, the issue here, you'd have to somehow accumulate this oxygen and keep it mixed with deuterium without oxidizing (i.e., at below ignition temperature and away from palladium as a catalyst, right?), or arrange for it to mix later somehow, again without igniting but then it ignites all at once.

I don't get it, any way that this could happen if the cell is a normal one where there is horizontal separation between the electrodes, and nothing specially causing "intense mixing."

Reply via email to