-----Original Message-----
From: Jed Rothwell 

> I know four ways to do this [oxygen evolved on cathode]


There is another way. 

Years ago someone developed an electrochemical method for producing oxygen
from hydrogen peroxide, instead of water. This can have advantages on
submarines, etc where you want to minimize free H2 at all costs. I don't
have the pat. number handy.

Oxygen can evolve from peroxide spontaneously on any catalyst like Pd, if
the peroxide is strong, or on either electrode with pulsed power if it is
dilute. Additionally, there are electrochemical techniques to first make the
peroxide itself electrochemically from water and additives. Obviously you
cannot do both at the same time with DC, but by pulsing very low voltage
current regularly, or allowing a double layer to do that for you, oxygen
could evolve on the cathode to the extent peroxide is being formed. I think
it would need to be very low voltage.



Reply via email to