I gather the DIA does not want to distribute files in text Acrobat format
because they are worried about people modifying the papers and circulating
bogus copies.

They must realize that you can convert an Acrobat image file back into text
(image-over-text), or into Microsoft Word without much difficulty. I
converted it to Word in order to check the spelling. It does not look
exactly like the original, but if I put another hour into the conversion I
could make it look exactly like the original, letter for letter. And then I
could convert it back into Acrobat. An expert in Acrobat could copy all the
internal settings too.

However, come to think of it, they probably mean that a text-Acrobat version
would make it easy for anyone to monkey with the file. The image format is a
weak defense against amateurs and people who are making idle trouble, like
the folks who vandalize Wikipedia pages with obscenities.

That's entirely reasonable.

A weak software defense such as image Acrobat is like putting one of those
itty-bitty locks on your luggage at the airport. It keeps a pickpocket from
reaching into your bag when your back is turned. It would not stop anyone
with a hand-held cutting tool.

- Jed

Reply via email to