My fire pitt for paper trash burning is complete. The chimney was first built of 8x8x16 hollow block. It did not such up well and smoke was blowing on me. I changed the chimney to 8x12x16 block. It sucks up well now. I used porus cinder block. I sucked on the block before I bought to to insure that air would penetrate the block and let the steam out. So far no blocks have exploded even under a rather large test fire. I have a fundation under the chimney consisting of one block. The block is 8 inches under the ground and has 3 feet rebars pounded through it and cemented in with concreate mix. The chimney has remained stable for one year now. The other blocks are layed on the ground with rebar pounded in at the corners for stablitiy. Nothing has moved. The red fire brick is a decoration.
I put a bench in front of it with 4x4 posts and a cover board. I moved the posts this year becauseI wanted to get the lawn mower beneath and in front of the beach for quick pruning. It's not cold fuson but it takes a lot of design and rebuild to make a good incenerator. Greata thumberg would not be happy with this one, but I like it. My not so friendly neighbor looked at it and stated that I was an a-- hole. http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/zpt/temp/FirePitt.jpg Frank Z

