Hi Christine,

 

My advice as to whether you should get a 5S or 6 is definitely to get an
iPhone 6. First of all it really is not that much wider and longer than a
5S, definitely not 2 fingers worth. Secondly, you may think it is too big,
but once you start using it and get used to it you will not think so. This
was the same when I upgraded from my 4S to my 5S, at first it felt
unfamiliar, but that did not last long and now when I pick up a 4S which is
about as much smaller as the 5S is smaller from the 6, it actually feels
strange especially since it's noticeably thicker.

 

The other good reason why you want an iPhone 6 is for Apple Pay
compatibility. I think Apple Pay will become a major way to pay in North
America and if I was in the market for a new phone I would definitely want
whatever is the newest at the time unless the $100 or so difference is price
was a major issue and I doubt it would be for you. I bought a 5S last year
and won't upgrade to a 6 or 6 Plus this year, but most likely upgrade again
next year, but for a new buyer the 6 should be the obvious choice. There
also is the better battery life to consider which always seems to be one of
the main limitations of most smartphones if you really use them especially
if you use apps like Blindsquare or other GPS apps.

 

 

Regards,

sieghard

 

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf
Of Christine Szostak
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2014 6:30 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Introduction, iPhones, and Apps

 

Hi All,

  First, my apology if this comes through twice.

 

  My name is Chris and I am totally blind, brand new to this list, and quite
new to the iDevice world. I just started using the iPod Touch 5 (as my first
iDevice) in mid-July.

 

  Now that I am getting my feet wet so-to-speak and am finally beginning to
feel more comfortable with touch screens without vision (I am using VO), I
have begun seriously considering my first iPhone.

 

  I really prefer the size of the 5S but am a bit worried about going to IOS
8 on it. Thus, if anyone out there is using IOS 8 with their 5S, I would
love any info about your experience. At this point, I am waiting at least
until 8.1 comes out as 8.02 just sounds way too buggy for me:)!

 

 Also, related to this, I was wondering if others here strongly recommend
not going with the 5S and going instead with the 6? I really do not like the
size of the 6 and thus am not really eager to do so but am curious about
what may be drawbacks to the 5S for some. Given that the 6 is a lot longer
and about 1-2 finger widths wider than my iPod, I am not excited about its
size at all:) (one of my students let me compare the size of her 6 to my 5th
Generation iPod).

 

  Finally, for apps, I have started to get a good list of apps that are
either directly made with the blind in mind as the primary audience (e.g.,
KNFBReader and DigitEyes) or are really nicely accessible with VO. However,
I am always on the lookout for new apps that are either going to provide
something that will simplify my life a little such as OCR, locaters, and the
like or can be used for entertainment (preferably with entertainment either
free or really cheap:)).

 

  thus, I was wondering if others here would mind sharing some of your
favorite appestat are either Voiceover accessible or specific to blindness
that fit either of the above categories?

 

  I am really excited about being here as I have been looking for something
like this list since I got my iPod!

 

  BTW, it is wonderful to see so many here that I recognize from other lists
and thanks to Chris for directing me here!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Chris

Christine M. Szostak, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology
Shorter University
Rome, Georgia
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> 

 

If you are interested in a professional consultation for a vision loss
related issue see:
http://findingthevision.wikidot.com

 

If you are in need of a professional consultation for general
research/statistical related issues see:
http://researchconsulting.wikidot.com

 

If you are looking for professional proof reading or editorial review
services see:
http://researchconsulting.wikidot.com

 

  _____  


 <http://www.avast.com/> 

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
<http://www.avast.com/>  protection is active. 

 

-- 
The following information is important for all members of the viphone list.
All new members to the this list are moderated by default. If you have any
questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you feel that a
member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or moderators
directly rather than posting on the list itself. The archives for this list
can be searched at http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/.
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"VIPhone" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]> .
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]> .
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

-- 
The following information is important for all members of the viphone list. All 
new members to the this list are moderated by default. If you have any 
questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you feel that a 
member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or moderators 
directly rather than posting on the list itself. The archives for this list can 
be searched at http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/.
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"VIPhone" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to