Right, hence my last sentence which reads, "you can read the following which talks all about bits and bytes,
megs and gigs, and the reason why what I say is true, but also why what
you say is also true, if looked at from a different point of view.
"

--
Raul A. Gallegos
Dear Twitter, sometimes I need more than 140 characters to describe what's on my mind... - Sheldon Cooper
Twitter and Facebook user ID: rau47

On 9/11/2013 12:43 PM, Christopher Chaltain wrote:
According to the article you refer to, there are three acceptable
definitions of a gigabyte, with only one of them being 1024 megabytes.
As the article you refer to points out, the discrepancy between what the
hard drive manufacturer reports for the capacity of your hard drive
versus what your operating system reports is because they're using two
different but acceptable definitions for a gigabyte. I guess I'm saying
that I don't think it's the case that a gigabyte is technically 1024
megabytes. that would depend on which of the acceptable definitions
you're saying is technically the correct definition.

On 09/11/2013 12:32 PM, Raul A. Gallegos wrote:
Hi, while not exactly wrong, there are technically 1024 megabytes in a
gigabyte. Just like there are 1024 kilobytes in 1 megabyte. Computers
operate in binary, so everything is based of the 2X system, 1, 2, 4, 8,
16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, and 1024. See the pattern? This is why if you
look on your PC and you  have let's say a 500 gb drive, you don't really
have 500 GB, you have something like 460 gb, this is because of how it
all boils down to starting off with 1, 2, 4, 8, ETC. If you want to know
more, you can read the following which talks all about bits and bytes,
megs and gigs, and the reason why what I say is true, but also why what
you say is also true, if looked at from a different point of view.


http://www.whatsabyte.com/


--
Raul A. Gallegos
So Mr. Krabs lives in Bikini Bottom? Think about that for a second. -
Sheldon Cooper
Twitter and Facebook user ID: rau47

On 9/11/2013 8:29 AM, Thom Spittle wrote:
There are 1000 megabytes in a gigabyte. And there are 1000 gigabytes
in a
terabyte.

HTH

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of John Diakogeorgiou
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:21 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: MB versus GIGS, etc.

Hi:
The phones and the IPads are actually in gigabytes not megabytes. So
they
are 16, 32 and 64 gigabytes. If they were 16 megabytes for example you
would only be able to hold 4 or 5 songs on a unit. As to what size you
should
get that is really only a question you can answer (and yes I hate that
answer). It depends on what you can afford though. If you plan to
use it
for
other things than a phone I would probably go with at least the 32gb
version. That way you can hold several hundred songs as well as books
and
however many apps you want.
I hope that helps a bit.

On 9/11/13, Regina Alvarado <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello all,
Have a question which may be comparing oranges to apples, no pun
intended :) On iPad, iPhone Mac, etc. I see talk of 16 MB 32 MB etc.
On the other hand, Windows has 1 terabyte hard drives. Never have I
seen the Apple products say gig or Terabyte. Can someone clear these
differences up for me? I understand smart phones have smaller drives,
but do the windows phones or even Android talk in MB? Also, do you
think I would be better to upgrade to a 32 or 64? I have deffinitely
found I use my phone more for things other than calling. I will also
be receiving an iPad shortly. Will it also be in MB? Sorry for all the
questions, but I want to understand. Thanks to anyone who can tackle
these questions for a non-techie brain!


Reggie and Allegra

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "VIPhone"
Google Group.

Post a new message to VIPhone by emailing [email protected].

Search and view the VIPhone archives by visiting
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/.

Reach the VIPhone owner and moderators by emailing
[email protected].

Unsubscribe and leave VIPhone by emailing
[email protected].

More VIPhone group options can be found by visiting
http://groups.google.com/group/viphone?hl=en.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "VIPhone" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "VIPhone"
Google Group.

Post a new message to VIPhone by emailing [email protected].

Search and view the VIPhone archives by visiting http://www.mail-
archive.com/[email protected]/.

Reach the VIPhone owner and moderators by emailing
[email protected].

Unsubscribe and leave VIPhone by emailing
[email protected].

More VIPhone group options can be found by visiting
http://groups.google.com/group/viphone?hl=en.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups
"VIPhone" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an
email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.




--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "VIPhone" Google 
Group.

Post a new message to VIPhone by emailing [email protected].

Search and view the VIPhone archives by visiting 
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/.

Reach the VIPhone owner and moderators by emailing 
[email protected].

Unsubscribe and leave VIPhone by emailing [email protected].

More VIPhone group options can be found by visiting 
http://groups.google.com/group/viphone?hl=en.
--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VIPhone" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to