I tested the upstream MR (!443, "egl-thread: Handle drivers that only
support implicit modifiers") on this machine: Ubuntu 26.04.1, GRD
50.2-0ubuntu0.1 source package plus the MR diff, built outside the
system and run only as the user gnome-remote-desktop-handover.service.
GPU is the RX 550 (Polaris12, RADV), Mesa 26.0.8.

Results:

The EGL thread now starts. The log shows [EGL] Explicit synchronization is 
supported, [EGL] DRM render node path: /dev/dri/renderD128 and EGL context 
initialized with platform EGL_PLATFORM_WAYLAND_EXT. The Failed to create EGL 
thread: Failed to get EGL display error no longer appears.
[HWAccel.Vulkan] Initialization of Vulkan was successful is logged, but then 
both physical devices are skipped:
vulkaninfo lists two devices (RADV POLARIS12 and llvmpipe) and neither reports 
VK_EXT_image_drm_format_modifier.

No VAAPI line appeared in the log. I don't know why.
CPU use: I only took one sample with no controlled load, so I have no 
meaningful comparison.
So, on this GPU the MR gets past the EGL failure, but hardware encoding still 
doesn't start, which matches your comment that AVC goes through Vulkan. I can 
attach the full debug log if useful.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2169775

Title:
  gnome-remote-desktop 50.2: "Failed to create EGL thread: Failed to get
  EGL display" on AMD Polaris (RX 550), hardware acceleration never
  initializes

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-remote-desktop/+bug/2169775/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

Reply via email to