Loris Bennett <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Ulf Markwardt <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> we are using CR_Core_Memory, granularity of our jobs is cores, so:
>> shared nodes. And all is well, jobs get killed once they use too much
>> memory, cgroups are in place.
>>
>> But.
>> A user wants to have a node explicitely, not caring about number of CPU
>> cores and amount of RAM in that specific node (ranging e.g. from 12
>> cores to 24, and from 32 to 256 GB), but he wants to use ALL resources.
>>
>> At the moment, I see no way to tell this Slurm. - OK, I can ask for 24
>> cores and 64 GB in a node, but then I do not get the chance to run on 12
>> cores/32 GB.
>>
>> Is there already a parameter in Slurm to handle this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ulf
>
> Wouldn't the sbatch option
>
>   --exclusive
>
> help?

D'oh. This obviously isn't what you want.  I some how overlooked the
point about using all the resources available ("ALL" just wasn't in caps
enough ;-) for me).

However, on a system with shared nodes, I would have thought that if the
jobs can run on only 12 cores, throughput would be generally increased
by always specifying that rather that anything larger.  That way you
reduce wait times for entire nodes with more cores and you usually get
better scaling with, say, two parallel 12-core jobs than with one
24-core job.  Obviously in your specific case, this may not be true.

Cheers,

Loris

-- 
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email [email protected]

Reply via email to