On 10/19/2016 10:57 AM, Baker D.J. wrote:
> Hello,

Greetings!
> 
> Looking at the Slurm documentation I see that it is possible to handle
> basic license management (this is the link
>  http://slurm.schedmd.com/licenses.html). In other words software
> licenses can be treated as a resource, however things appear to be
> fairly rudimentary at the moment – at least that’s my impression. We are
> used to doing license management in moab, and if we don’t have that
> properly implemented is it not the end of the world, however not ideal.
> 
> 
> One situation that we would like to be able to deal with is a FlexLM 3
> server redundancy situation. So, for example, our Comsol licenses are
> served out in this fashion.  Is this something that slurm can deal with,
> and, if so, how can it be done? Any advice including slurm’s short
> comings and/or future plans in this respect would be useful, please.

I am not an expert by any means, but I have a bit of experience.

SLURM doesn't integrate into FlexLM like Moab does. Instead you create a
limited resource in SLURM and it is up to you to find a way to ensure
that the number of available licenses matches.

For me, it isn't that big of a deal, but we have run into issues where
someone checked the licenses out of the FlexLM, but not in SLURM. When
the next person tried to submit jobs, SLURM let the jobs run and the job
failed because it couldn't get a license. We wrote a simple check script
that runs every once in a while to do a quick verification check. It
suffices for now.

I know there are others that can speak with a lot more authority and
experience than I, but from my understanding, don't expect much for
tight integration between the two.

~Stack~


Attachment: signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature

Reply via email to