Hello Kirsteen,
IF disaster strikes, even your old bottled tap water for the toilet will
be better than any new tap water that could be available.
I bought an Aquarain several years ago http://www.aquarain.com/ It's
made in the USA (or at least enough is to claim that). There are a few
slight differences between the Aquarain and the Berkey but they do not
have to be significant. As nearly as I can tell, price ,no way to hook
up a fluoride filter, and the size of the stem that goes from the filter
into the clean tank.
The Berkey fluoride filter works for 6000 gallons and may be worth the
money. It may also be adapted to the AquaRain; after I saw the price I
didn't look at it. I put some Borax in the to-be-filtered water and
take some in my coffee daily to counter Fl.
The size of the stem IS important but not a purchase problem because if
you want to use a Black Berkey (the best from what I've read) ceramic
filter you just take it to the hardware store and buy 4 wing nuts that
fit the stem.
If I were doing it again, I wouldn't even buy the Aqua Rain. It is less
than the Berkey but money is tight. Since my research (14 yrs agi) there
are marvelous youtubes and other sites showing you have to piece
together materials to make a water filter like either the Berkey or the
Aqua Rain at considerably less expense. Once you know what the
significant parts are and how they work, your imagination's the limit.
Spend money on the best filter you can buy. If you're in a hurry, make
that filters. The more ceramic cones you use in a filter, the faster
the water flows.
IF you know that your water needs purified (river, roof, mud puddle
water) and are concerned about the viability of the filter, add a slosh
of iodine or bleach or peroxide to the filtration chamber. It'll kill
anything going thru the filter. If I put food coloring in the top, the
water in the bottom comes thru' clear--kinda cool. You want a filter
that will remove microorganisms.
I found one site that had a neat-looking comparison of all the ceramic
filter units but the data did not fit my experience so I chalked it up
to sales fluff.
FWIW Saralou
http://www.motherearthnews.com/do-it-yourself/diy-ceramic-water-filters-zwfz1207zmat.aspx
http://www.aquatechnology.net/ceramicfiltration.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5XEoc2ocds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrfcuqQ76qI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unSyXvtvlDE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3q-GODhrFA&feature=related Explains
well. However, filter is for potable water unless you add a 3rd bucket
with a finer filter.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/CAMP-352
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFfLbeXDav8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w21d_YXiOOU&feature=related
http://www.monolithic.com/stories/a-practical-life-sustaining-water-filter
http://www.amazon.com/Berkey-British-Berkefeld-Ceramic-Filters/product-reviews/B002RZRJHI
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/CAMP-354
http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/06/pats-product-review-just-water-brand-ceramic-drip-filter-system.html
http://kopernik.info/en-us/technology/water-filter
http://www.berkeywater.com/start.main.html
http://www.bigberkey.com/
A PERFORMANCE STUDY OF CERAMIC /CANDLE FILTERS/ IN *...*
<http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/31120/61162474.pdf>dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/31120/61162474.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDm28tC1XyE
http://doultonusa.com/HTML%20pages/candles.htm
On 11/6/2012 7:12 AM, Kirsteen Wright wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm afraid the Berkey is beyond my means.
I've seen the water bob things for the bath but it's not quite what
I'm looking for. To be honest, I don't actually see a Sandy type
disaster here, though I agree never say never.
There have however been several times when the water supply has been
disrupted, often without any notice. The main water supply pipes have
been around since Victorian times and do have a habit of bursting in
the winter.
We're in a small 4th floor flat. We usually have a supply of bottled
water on hand, as it's all my son drinks (not that i agree with that)
and we store quite a few of the used containers filled with tap water
around the toilet, so that we have a supply to flush it.
I was just wondering in an emergency, if we were out of bottled water,
how to make sure that stored tap water was safe to drink? I always
thought adding CS was a good idea?
If I was to use hydrogen peroxide 35% or 3%, any idea how much I would
add to a quart/litre? I haven't managed to find any info on this as
every site I've come across recommends adding iodine, whiich i suppose
is another option.
cheers
Kirsteen
--
The Silver List is a moderated forum for discussing Colloidal Silver.
Rules and Instructions: http://www.silverlist.org
Unsubscribe:
<mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>
Archives:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
Off-Topic discussions: <mailto:[email protected]>
List Owner: Mike Devour <mailto:[email protected]>