On Sun, Aug 23, 2026 at 3:53 PM Kurt Jaeger <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> > > > What are relations to
> > > > Linux kernel that you mentioned? How this can be avoided?
> > >
> > > If I understand it correctly, webcamd at 
> > > https://github.com/hselasky/webcamd
> > > was started as a user-space daemon that provides Linux USB Kernel
> > > functions, so that relevant Linux-based webcam drivers can somehow
> > > be integrated.
> > >
> > > At least that's how HPS announced it in 2010:
> > >
> > > https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2010-January/008069.html
> >
> > Yeah. It resides in the userland because of GPLv2 license, so it
> > cannot be just copy-pasted into the new in-kernel webcam code which
> > must be BSD licensed. Also because it supports ~1500 devices the
> > rewrite may not be feasible?
>
> From what I learned about AI coding success stories, not much is
> 'not feasible' any longer.
>
> > Because "daemon currently depends on libc, pthreads, libusb and
> > libcuse" there is not much kernel involved right?
> > Except the Linux
> > kernel is a moving target so the copy-paste into webcamd may not
> > always be trivial :-P
>
> Yes, I think this is why kuon mentioned Linux kernel topics.

True true :-) Very nice to hear amazingly helpful and useful HPS work
is continued! :-)

When HPS created LibUSB compatible stack here that was my "switch for
good to FreeBSD" moment as I daily work with embedded stuff. Right now
I have two 8 port and five 16 ports USB HUBs for boards development
and testing. Man I miss him. Thank You HPS :-)

--
CeDeROM, SQ7MHZ, http://www.tomek.cedro.info

Reply via email to