12/21/15 Long Lake, Newcomb, & Minerva (Hamilton & Essex Counties)

 

At our feeders, we continue to have Purple Finches, Pine Siskins, and Amer.
Goldfinches.  The Pine Siskin numbers increase each day and it sounded like
a jungle outside our house today!  I'm also finding these 3 finch species
nearly everywhere I go.  I found a huge mixed flock of finches gritting on
Route 28N between Long Lake and Newcomb.  Large lakes are still completely
open, and small, still ponds and lakes are partially frozen.  We have just a
dusting of snow (that will melt when it reaches nearly 60 degrees on
Christmas Eve).

 

A few other species found this morning:

 

Gray Jay - 6 at Sabattis Bog (& many Blue Jays)

Boreal Chickadee - 3 at a marsh near the Newcomb-Minerva town line

Amer. Tree Sparrow - marsh in Newcomb

Dark-eyed Junco - Tahawus Road in Newcomb

Purple Finch - widespread

Red Crossbill - at least 12 (2 along Sabattis Circle Road near the Little
Tupper Lake inlet - male singing, at least 5 in Newcomb (including a pair
with a singing male), 3 near the railroad bed in Minerva, and at least 2 by
the Boreas River Bridge)  The birds in Newcomb sounded like Type 2s.  I
posted photos of the Newcomb pair on my Facebook page below.  The male's
upper mandible pointed to the right and the female's to the left.

Pine Siskin - widespread with several large flocks

American Goldfinch - widespread

 

12/17/15 Sabattis Circle Road in Long Lake

 

I found 4 Gray Jays at Sabattis Bog and 4 Red Crossbills by the Little
Tupper Lake inlet on my drive out.

 

12/16/15 Sabattis Circle Road & Long Lake

 

This was a 6 finch species day on Sabattis Circle Road!  Here are some of
the species found:

 

Greater Scaup - 2 (male & female) on Long Lake

Hooded Merganser - 2 (male & female) on Little Tupper Lake

Common Merganser - ~30 (all females) on Long Lake

Pileated Woodpecker - 3

Gray Jay - 6 at Sabattis Bog

Blue Jay - many

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill - at least 3 (a pair observed at Sabattis Bog, and calling
heard at the inlet of Little Tupper Lake)

White-winged Crossbill - 9 at Sabattis Bog!

(Common, I assume) Redpoll - 1 that circled me calling before flying off

Pine Siskin

Amer. Goldfinch

 

12/14/15 Sabattis Circle Road in Long Lake

 

Black-backed Woodpecker - 1 at Sabattis Bog

Gray Jay - 6 (4 at Sabattis Bog and 2 along Route 30 just outside the Long
Lake village)

Bohemian Waxwing - heard by the inlet of Little Tupper Lake

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill - 4 (pair at the Sabattis Bog, and pair at the inlet of Little
Tupper Lake)  I photographed the pair at the inlet - the male's upper
mandible points to the right and the female's to the left.  They were taking
turns gritting in the road - when the male was perched in the tree above the
gritting female, he sang non-stop.  I got some bad recordings on my iPhone,
but Matt Young (Cornell Lab) was still able to determine the type - Type 10
- from the recordings.  I also took a video of the male and a video of the
female as they gritted - I posted them to my Facebook page along with photos
of this pair.

White-winged Crossbill - fly-over flock at Sabattis Bog

Pine Siskin

Amer. Goldfinch

 

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell       

(518) 624-5528 home

http://www.adirondackavianexpeditions.com/  

http://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to