Traditionally Forest Park has been one of the better places to  see 
migratory birds in May. I did see quite a few two weeks ago,  including  quite 
a 
few  warblers,when I visited the  fresh  water ponds, where the birds visit 
and one can usually see them up  close and get nice pictures.
 
 I thought I would take the opportunity of the long  weekend to drive in 
from Westhampton LI, on Sunday since I figured the car  traffic would be low, 
with fewer cars in the middle of the holiday weekend,  (It usually takes 1 
1/2 hours or more to drive in and more to return  East.)
 
I was right about the traffic,I made great time to get there  and return.
However  the birds were very sparse. I saw only one  warbler (Water thrush) 
and did not get a decent look either. Only  bird worth mentioning was a 
immature Red Tail Hawk, who  spent hours there, even taking a bath before going 
back to roust up in the  trees.
 
This concerns me because I understood that the migration  was later this 
year because of the cold spring, and we could  expect greater migration later. 
But,
based on my observations so far, the bird migration is way off  in numbers 
this year. 
 
I would appreciate some comments on this (and maybe  suggestions).
 
Andy Murphy
 
 
 
 
 
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to