5/8/14 Long Lake (home, and Sabattis Circle Road) and Bloomingdale (many
locations)

 

I found 7 first-of-the-year species today (and a total of 11 warbler species
- things are picking up!):

 

*Least Flycatcher

*Cliff Swallow

*Barn Swallow

*Nashville Warbler

*Northern Parula

*Blackburnian Warbler

*Black-throated Blue Warbler

 

There is a Dark-eyed Junco on Sabattis Circle Road holding a territory
singing a "song" that sounds like a Red Crossbill calling!  It is always in
the same spot and sings a buzz note followed by what sounds like Red
Crossbill call notes.  I have several recordings that I'll send to Matt
Young.  I've heard Dark-eyed Juncos give a lot of "different" vocalizations
over the years, but this one is completely bizarre!

 

A Barred Owl was my wake-up call again this morning.

 

I found a number of nest sites today, and I took a close-up video of 2
Red-breasted Nuthatches at their nest hole - adorable!  They were excavating
this hole (20 to 25 feet off the ground in a dead snag) and then tossing the
wood shavings out the hole - by shaking their heads back and forth.  They
also flew the shavings away from the nest hole.

 

In the Bloomingdale area, I found 5 Black-backed Woodpeckers (3 males
observed - and two birds calling near 2 of the males), 3 Gray Jays (all
adults), and at least 6 Boreal Chickadees.  I also found an Amer. Bittern
and several Ruffed Grouse.

 

I encountered 5 Snowshoe Hares today and photographed one.

 

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to