Sunday, 16 March, 2014 - Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

Agreeing with Anders on what was NOT seen this a.m. at the reservoir,  
beginning at pre-sunrise thru 7:45am, NO red-necked grebe, no wigeon,  
& no ring-necked duck, anywhere on any portion of the reservoir's  
water or shores. Nor, at any other waterbody in the park... single  
Ruddy Duck apparently new to this season (what season is this,  
anyhow!) and over at the Lake, a Double-crested Cormorant was new to  
me this year in the park. I did see 7 Wood Ducks, 5 at the south part  
of the reservoir, plus a pair at the Lake. Good numbers of N.  
Shovelers continue at the Lake, a few at the reservoir. At least one  
Gadwall at reservoir, and multiples of Bufflehead; a modest & typical  
ass't. of waterfowl & a few gulls coming on the Meer now that it like  
other waterbodies is losing ice, gaining open water.

A look at the feeders after 8 a.m. was inconclusive for certain  
species that had been around there and nearby (pine warbler, Baltimore  
orioles) as I didn't linger long enough to see a lot.  There & in a  
few other areas of the Ramble were "red" Fox Sparrows, some singing  
nicely. I eventually ran into just 1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker at the  
Pinetum. The hordes of half-marathon runners & joggers convinced me  
not to do all my usual routes although by about 10, that was pretty  
much finished.  One American Woodcock was inadvertently and  
unintentionally flushed in the Ramble and went I-know-not-where.

Some of the earliest-blooming flowers have come up, with signs that  
more will be as (if ever!) temp's stay above freezing for more than 1  
day. Plenty of resident & a few of the overwintering birds have been  
singing.

Good birding,

Tom Fiore
Manhattan

-------------------------
On Mar 16, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Anders Peltomaa wrote:
> Waterfowl numbers are much lower today. I just finished  a walk  
> around the reservoir: no sighting of the Red-necked Grebe, Ring- 
> necked Duck or American Wigeon. Neither did I see any Wood Duck,  
> although there might be some near the central South end which I  
> couldn't cover as i was walking with our dog.
>
> The male and female Red-breasted merganser were on the West side.  
> One Ruddy Duck at the SW corner.
>
> Anders Peltomaa
> Manhattan
>


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to