Got out for a short while this afternoon (3:20 - 4:30) and found the adult
Iceland Gull still at Iron Pier Beach, Jamesport.

 I took Doctors Path on my return home and came upon an adult Red-tailed
Hawk in the sod field, plucking away at, what looked like, a fresh kill.
It's prey was a fairly large bird with gray in it...possibly a gull ? The
hawk was intent on devouring it's meal, and nothing caused it to stop, or
temporarily move away. Not my backing up to come abreast of it, ~ 40'
away. Not my turning off the engine, nor my lowering the window, and not my
taking so many pictures, which only stopped when my battery gave out - I
must have taken close to 100 shots ! It also wasn't fazed by the good
amount of cars & trucks that were traveling at a fast pace on this
connecting road between Rt. 25 and Sound Ave., Riverhead. What really
amazed me was when it remained stationary, even as a caravan of 3 police
cars & 2 ambulances came racing up D.P. (with their lights flashing and
sirens blasting) toward Sound Ave.  I was in the southbound lane, and when
they came by me, staying as close to the other side as possible, they were
probably no more than 25' from the bird...and yet it didn't budge ! I
couldn't help but think of all those times in the past, when I have caused
Red-tails and other hawk species to take off prematurely, after I had
caused so much less of a disturbance. As I drove away, I wondered how long
it had been since it's last meal ?

Cheers,
Bob

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to