One of the problems I have had with this bird is the uniform instead of two 
tone contrast look with the outer primaries expected on a Thayer's.  On the 
sleeping photo, although it looks like a bleached looking individual, I would 
have a hard time not calling this bird a Thayer's type

In flight it gives a different perspective and the primaries seen in flight 
does not show as dark.  However, the photos are over exposed and could be 
causing some issues here with that so I am not sure.

Kumlien's range makes this a tough one to call based on these photos alone even 
if the plumage and tail band seems odd.  In addition, the variation in plumage 
of Kumlien's makes this even more intriguing and I have seen some photos from 
birds upstate this year that look very much like this one.

Photos can lie so more documentation is needed on this bird and definitely 
worth tracking down. I hope it is refound and better photos presented for 
discussion.  Good luck CP birders.  Report these birds!!!  Even if it is an 
Iceland Gull, it is post worthy.

Cheers!



> On Feb 3, 2014, at 11:31 PM, Phil Jeffrey <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Real shame that didn't get reported earlier, given the ambiguous photos, 
> since if that is an Iceland Gull it would be one of the darker ones I've seen 
> and at first blush it has some pro-Thayer's features.  Would be worth 
> tracking that one down again.
> 
> (To see what I mean: Hampton's Thayeri/Kumlieni/Glaucoides scale: 
> http://www.tertial.us/gulls/tkg.htm )
> 
> Phil
> 
> 
> 
>> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 11:03 PM, Andrew Baksh <[email protected]> wrote:
>>  
>> FYI...
>> 
>> Begin forwarded message:
>> 
>>> From: AA Fawkes <[email protected]>
>>> Date: February 3, 2014 at 10:38:58 PM EST
>>> To: <[email protected]>
>>> Subject: [nysbirds-l] Kumlien's/Thayer's Gull on CP Resevoir Sunday
>>> Reply-To: AA Fawkes <[email protected]>
>>> 
>>> Apologies for posting late. An immature white-winged gull, possibly a 
>>> Thayer's, was on the reservoir Sunday, along with several hundred other 
>>> gulls and a definite Kumlien's. There has been quite a bit of debate on 
>>> various facebook groups, and I would welcome more opinions. I'm going to 
>>> try to re-find the bird tomorrow to get better pictures, as the ones I've 
>>> got are distant and overexposed.
>>> 
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/elwingflight/sets/72157640157804394/
>>> 
>>> Anya Auerbach
>>> --
>>> NYSbirds-L List Info:
>>> Welcome and Basics
>>> Rules and Information
>>> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
>>> Archives:
>>> The Mail Archive
>>> Surfbirds
>>> BirdingOnThe.Net
>>> Please submit your observations to eBird!
>>> --
>> 
>> __._,_.___
>> Reply via web post                            Reply to sender                
>>                  Reply to group                         Start a New Topic    
>>            Messages in this topic (1)                       
>> RECENT ACTIVITY: New Members 1
>> Visit Your Group
>> ebirdsnyc: bird sightings from the NYC area
>> Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use 
>> .
>>  
>> __,_._,___
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> "If you lie to the compiler, it will get its revenge"
> - Henry Spencer

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to