As I arrived at Cupsogue , 4 of the earlier birders were on their way out,
all giving me high hopes for a successful hunt. Low tide made getting to
the flats easy, while making my bathing suit "overkill". Upon arrival I
found 4 birders, Dick Bolanger, Aaron Virgin and Tom Moran, all whom I
knew, and Jim Cullen, whom I met for the first time. During my approach,
what looked to me to be "stint-study-time", turned out to be 4 guys trying
to locate the bird. Jim, it turns out, had arrived before the others and
had seen the Red-necked Stint, before the bird was flushed by someone/
something. This unfortunate turn of events was followed (in just a few
minutes} by the arrival of the afore mentioned trio. After a good amount of
time and a thorough search, we decided to look for the stint at the
Westhampton Dunes "Overlook", which also proved to be unsuccessful.

Although we missed the prize, among the many Common Terns, we did pick out
a 1st year Arctic Turn, a single Roseate Tern and 2 Black Terns (I in full
alternate & I in 3/4 alternate plumages). While leaving the flats, I also
found my FOS Western Willet, which Aaron got to see too.

Also seen at Cupsogue were 3 Red Knots, ~ 10 short-billed Dowitchers, 2
Saltmarsh Sharpe-tailed Sparrows and 2 Seaside Sparrows, both carrying
food.

Cheers,
Bob

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to