Hi Jacob and all,

There's a good summary of North American Jackdaw records in the ABA Checklist 
(I'm looking at the sixth edition, 2002), based in part on an article by P. W. 
Smith: Jackdaws reach the New World, American Birds 39: 255-258. Jackdaw is 
accepted on the checklists of Massachusetts and RI, but records from PA and CT 
were deemed of questionable origins by the respective committees. I don't know 
how the various Canadian provincial committees, or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon, 
handled their records.

The sheer number of Jackdaws that appeared in mid-80s, as well as their 
appearance at outer coastal sites such as SPM, Nantucket, and Block Island, is 
strongly suggestive of irruptive vagrancy. Personally, I would think 
ship-assistance was a likely factor for many or most of these records, and feel 
likewise about this Hooded Crow, if explicit indications of captive origins are 
lacking. Coming aboard ships is certainly a "natural" part of the biology of 
many species in the contemporary world, as has been shown for Indian House 
Crows, and also for species like Peregrine Falcons that routinely use ships far 
off-shore as bases for hunting seabirds.

I must have arrived just moments after Mike and Eileen left this morning. When 
I arrived, the Hooded Crow had left the beach, but Tom Dulski quickly re-found 
it in the dead pine at the corner of the gravel lot. It soon disappeared into 
the woods, but I saw it fly back over to the beach just before I left, around 
8:15.

Shai Mitra, Bay Shore

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Jacob Drucker
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:58 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Eurasian Jackdaws and Hooded Crows

Hi All,

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if anybody knows what the birding
community's reaction was when Eurasian Jackdaw's turned up in MA in 1982,
and if I remember correctly, I read somewhere that they bred in PA once.
Given that this species and Hooded Crow are often within proximity of each
other in Europe, and behave similarly it would be interesting to compare
patterns of their vagrancy. When the Jackdaws mentioned above showed up, was
the birding community skeptical of their origin? How were those birds deemed
wild?

Argh,
Jacob Drucker
Manhattan
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--



--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

________________________________

Change is in the Air - Smoking in Designated Areas Only as of July 1, 
2011<http://www.csi.cuny.edu/tobaccofree>

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to