Good point, Jacob.

As I recall, the Jackdaws nested on a building (federal prison?) in
Pennsylvania. They also nested in Quebec, Canada. 

I did go to see a Jackdaw in New Haven, Connecticut back then.

I don't recall any follow-up to the Penn. Birds. But, I've heard that the
Quebec F&W people purposely destroyed all the Canada birds to prevent any
chance of seeing a colony established. The facts and reasoning are all
hearsay on my part. Maybe someone has some more reliable information.

Rich Guthrie
New Baltimore
New York.


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Jacob Drucker
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:58 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Eurasian Jackdaws and Hooded Crows

Hi All,

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if anybody knows what the birding
community's reaction was when Eurasian Jackdaw's turned up in MA in 1982,
and if I remember correctly, I read somewhere that they bred in PA once.
Given that this species and Hooded Crow are often within proximity of each
other in Europe, and behave similarly it would be interesting to compare
patterns of their vagrancy. When the Jackdaws mentioned above showed up, was
the birding community skeptical of their origin? How were those birds deemed
wild?

Argh,
Jacob Drucker
Manhattan
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--



--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to