This is an interesting report, and I'll try to address Andrew's questions.

 

Mitred Parakeets (Aratinga mitrata - known in aviculture as Mitred Conures)
are a temperate zone species, naturally ranging from southern Peru and
western Bolivia to northern Argentina.  The species is typically found at
1000-3500 meters elevation, and has been recorded to 4000 meters.  With the
variety of warm microhabitats available in any urbanized area, and the
relative abundance of foods such as ornamental fruits, it is not too
surprising that they can survive our winters.  In fact it is winter when
many sightings have occurred as the birds wander widely to forage, often on
extremely cold days.

 

There is no reason to believe that Andrew's birds are the same as those
currently present in Queens.  The origin of the local population of Mitred
Parakeets is reliably established between 1979 and 1984.  This coincides
with the period when large numbers of birds were imported, JFK Airport being
a major hub.  It appears that both the total number of birds, and the range
of areas from which they have been reported, have decreased over time.
Historically, most reports have been from southwestern Nassau County.
During the 1990s it appears the birds ranged at least as far east as
Massapequa (Nassau), and as far west as Central Park.  Andrew's is the first
report I know of from the Bronx.  The most recent reports I know of from
southwestern Nassau were in 2009, but there have been many recent reports
from Queens.  There are only 13-15 birds in the Queens flock.  Assuming
birds still persist in Nassau, there may be as many as 50 Mitred Parakeets
around the NYC metro area.  Having said all this, I'll also say that
reporting is quite unreliable and there could well be some birds missed.
For example, to this day, Mitred Parakeets have not been recorded on any NY
Christmas Bird Count and reports from June through November are virtually
unknown.  So the biggest question is whether Mitred Parakeets are breeding
in the NY area, and if so, where.

 

Those interested can read my article in The Kingbird, September 2009; 59(3).
By the way, the cherry trees in Hillcrest, Queens are about to blossom, and
the birds should be there within a couple of days!

 

Seth Ausubel

Forest Hills, NY

 

  _____  

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Andrew Block
Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2011 11:56 AM
To: NYS Birds
Subject: [nysbirds-l] long belated Mitred Parakeet report

 

For all you parrot people out there following the saga of the Mitred
Parakeets in NYC I was going thru my notes last night and came across a
sighting I had on 4/4/96 at the NY Botanical Garden.  I had forgotten I had
a flock of 13 Mitred Parakeets fly over the Rose Garden heading south
towards the zoo.  It just occured to me these must be the same flock that is
being see sporadically in Queens.  I really would love to know how they
survive the winters here b/c they are not supposed to be hardy around here.
It's one of the many mysteries of NYC I guess.

 

Andrew
 

Andrew v. F. Block
Consulting Naturalist/Wildlife Biologist
37 Tanglewylde Avenue
Bronxville, Westchester Co., New York 10708-3131
Phone: 914-337-1229; Fax: 914-771-8036

 


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to