i think this one is clearly a northern.

i lean pretty strongly towards thinking the jones beach one is a loggerhead, 
though.
 Richard R. Veit
Professor
Biology Department
CSI/CUNY
2800 Victory Boulevard
Staten Island, NY 10314
718-982-3853
Fax 718-982-3852 




________________________________
From: Angus Wilson <[email protected]>
To: NYSBIRDS-L <[email protected]>
Cc: Shaibal Mitra <[email protected]>; "Burke, Tom" 
<[email protected]>; Hugh McGuinness <[email protected]>; Christopher Wood 
<[email protected]>; Andy Guthrie <[email protected]>; Kevin McGowan 
<[email protected]>
Sent: Wed, December 1, 2010 10:36:52 AM
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Identity of Jones Beach Shrike

It seems appropriate to throw one more bird into the discussion mix; a shrike 
that I found on 31 Oct 2010 in the Theodore Roosevelt County Park in Montauk 
(Suffolk Co.), a few hundred yards from a Brewer's Blackbird. If I recall 
correctly, this was shortly after the discovery of the Jones Beach shrike, and 
perhaps the only other shrike seen on Long Island during the fall/winter season 
(so far). Unfortunately the Montauk bird did not linger beyond the one day. It 
also gave the impression of being small and was harassed relentlessly by a pair 
of Northern Mockingbirds, making photography difficult. I still have to sit 
down 
and look carefully at it relative to the Northern/Loggerhead discussion, but 
thought other independent opinions would be helpful. Here is a link to the best 
photos I obtained.

http://picasaweb.google.com/oceanwanderers/SouthForkLongIslandNY?authkey=Gv1sRgCOa3ua3EuLjJ3wE#


-- 
Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA
http://birdingtotheend.blogspot.com/

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to