I started the morning walking in the drizzle at Sunken Meadow State
Park(Suffolk
County). My first stop was the dirt lot at the NW corner of Field 2 to look
for
the reported Clay-colored Sparrow. When I arrived it was very quiet and no
birds were to be found. I waited a few minutes and proceeded to walk around
the
entire lot. When I got back to where I originally started I flushed two
sparrows up into the high grass. Upon inspection, I was looking at both the
Clay-colored Sparrow and a Swamp sparrow. They quickly dropped back down to
the
ground and continued to feed. While watching the Clay-colored I heard a rather
loud distinct "chink." I turned around and saw a large blue bird perched on
top
of one of the shrubs across the way. I lifted my bins and found myself staring
at a male Blue Grosbeak. He didn't stay very long, as I tried moving a little
closer he flew overhead and deep into the field(if you want to call it that).
The only other birds were 2 Song Sparrows. When I left the lot, the
Clay-colored was still feeding.
Next, I hiked the Inner Marsh trail. There was very little activity. The only
birds of note were 4 Purple Finch, 1 Wood Thrush, 7 species of warbler, 22+Wood
Ducks, and a Blue-winged Teal hen dabbling on the last pond along the
trail. By
the time I was done and heading back to my car, the drizzling stopped
completely. Eastern Phoebes and a Sharp-shinned Hawk were the last birds I
seen
while exiting the park.
Vinny Pellegrino
picasaweb.com/vinnypelle
East Northport, NY
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've
imagined."
-Henry David Thoreau
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--