Douglas Futuyma and Karen Rubinstein provided excellent accounts of the
uncommon geese frequenting the one remaining field on Further Lane in East
Hampton (Suffolk Co., NY). Yesterday we watched 4 first-winter *GREATER
WHITE-FRONTED GEESE* (little or no barring on bellies) and a single
well-marked adult. Interestingly, the two Greater White-fronts that were
here on Saturday were both adults! Thus, there must be at least 6, perhaps
even 7, white-fronts in the area. I wonder how many are on Long Island at
the moment? Just before sundown, the 4 youngsters were on the Oceanview Farm
field just east of the village of Amagansett. This is just beyond the IGA
supermarket on the north side of Route 27. Although there are sometimes a
few Canada Geese or gulls here, this is the first time I've ever seen
anything newsworthy. Whilst I watched, the geese were spooked by the LIRR
train that runs along the back of the field and they flew back to Further
Lane, landing on the partly obscured field between the lane and the ocean.

I spent much of the morning looking at waterfowl elsewhere. For the most
part, the fields were gooseless due to hunting pressure but there were some
3,000+ on the ocean off Sagaponack. I spent a good deal of time going
through these but could not come up with anything different. Shorts Pond on
Scuttlehole Lane (Bridgehampton) was disappointing with less than a hundred
geese, 11 *SNOW GEESE* and one Ruddy Duck. I noted that the Snow Geese here
and off Further Lane are all adults. Does this mean that Greater Snow Geese
had a poor nesting season this year? Does anyone have a sense of the adult
to first-year ratio at Jamaica Bay?

After hearing about Doug Futuyma's many good finds out at Montauk Point, I
zipped off in the that direction before the light gave out. A beautiful 1st
winter *KUMLEIN'S ICELAND GULL* was at Lazy Point in Napeague and an adult
male *KING EIDER* was floating with a small group of Common Eiders at Ditch
Plains, where I also noted an adult *BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE* and 26 *PURPLE
SANDPIPERS*. At Montauk Inlet, I stumbled on a 1st basic *NELSON'S
GULL*(Herring x Glaucous hybrid), likely the bird found by Shai Mitra
on Fort
Pond during in the Christmas Bird Count. Doug, Mike Cooper and Vicki
Bustamante all saw the 2nd winter Kumlein's Iceland Gull around the mouth of
the inlet (seems to prefer the west side) and have commented on its
unusually dark tail band. Critical study of other features still place this
striking bird within the Kumlein's spectrum.

-- 
Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA
http://birdingtotheend.blogspot.com/

-- 

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to