I thought this info might be of interest to some.

I searched through my Prospect Park records for dates of lingering Ovenbirds and found the following. The previous winter sighting was on 17 January 2007 (Alex Wilson; Vale/Rose Garden). Prior to that was an individual that actually overwintered in Brooklyn. First discovered by Steve Nanz and myself 13 December 1997 (Lookout Hill near Maryland Monument), the bird was observed throughout most of December. It was then re-discovered on 2 February 1998 (Ron Ellard, Tom Fiore) on Lookout Hill near the Wellhouse, associating with a White-eyed Vireo that also overwintered that year. What I assume was the same bird was reported again on Lookout Hill 25 March 1998 (Ron Ellard). The next dates for that year begin on 23 April, but could easily have been early Spring arrivals. I'm not sure if the winter of 1997-98 had been extremely mild or not. Either way, that Ovenbird was very lucky to have dodged the usual collection of falcons, accipiters and Red-tailed Hawks that hang around in the winter. Note that the above dates were not included in Bull's Birds of New York State. Besides the fact that I never thought it important enough to report, back then we didn't have all the instant birding communications such as discussion forums, online checklists, cellphones, text messaging, twittering, etc., that now exists. God, how did we ever manage?! ;-)

Good birding,

Rob




--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

Archives:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to