Yesterday, my Verizon cell phone broke. Today, after having it checked at the
Riverhead store, I was directed to it's service location in Bridgehampton,
about a 40 minute drive east. Once there, in just half that amount of time, the
phone was replaced under warranty, and I was on my way.
But, with an eye toward "getting more bang for my gas buck", instead of heading
home, I turned toward the "old lapwing field", in hope of seeing the cattle
egret, which was found there recently by Pat Lindsay. Although it wasn't windy,
when I finally saw the bird, it was hunkered down right next to one of the
fence posts in the cow pasture, located on the s/s of Mecox Rd., at the
intersection of Halsey La.,Mecox/Water Mill, Suffolk Co. A Northern Lapwing
visited this location from Jan.28, to Mar.25, 1995, being seen by a huge number
of birders, many from out of state. My first view of this very special bird (on
Jan.31) came through the scope of Jim Ash, who, as I came running up, just
stepped aside, smiled, and pointed to its eye piece!
I was at the "o/l/f" around 3:30 PM, for about 15 minutes, during which, the
egret didn't move away from the post, even when I got out of the car to take
its picture. With the distance between us being no more than 50', I came to
wonder if it was injured?
Cheers, Bob
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
Archives:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--