Thanks to Kevin and some others (outside this venue) for clarifying the 
identity of the loon as the expected species, Common Loon. I suspected Arctic 
because of the perceived small bill size and the apparent dark mottling on the 
throat reminiscent of the black patch of breeding Arctic, which I have not 
noticed on basic Common Loon. One text actually mentions throat mottling as a 
field mark of basic Arctic. I'm glad the photos served to set the record 
straight. 

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO 

________________________________

From: [email protected] 
<[email protected]> 
To: [email protected] <[email protected]> 
Sent: Sat Nov 14 11:43:31 2009
Subject: RE: [nysbirds-l] Fresh loon carcass Tobay Beach, Suffolk County, 
possible Arctic 


Legalities aside, why was this bird considered a possible Arctic Loon?  It 
looks like a Common Loon to me.

Nick's pictures at http://www.pbase.com/quetzal/loon11122009 
<http://www.pbase.com/quetzal/loon11122009>  show retention of white spotting 
on the back that does not match Pacific/Arctic at all, but does match Common.  
There are a plethora of tiny white spots all over, and the largest spots are 
small white squares.  No photos are presented of the back of the neck nor a 
good profile, so that's hard to judge, but the one photo makes the lower 
mandible appear to have a strong upturn at the gonys like a Common, not flat 
like a Pacific/Arctic.  I've never seen a Pacific/Arctic Loon in this plumage, 
but it doesn't seem to be arranging itself with a very distinct dark/white line 
down the neck.  All loon species have vent straps.

Kevin


Kevin McGowan
Ithaca, NY








        apologize for submitting this post to the entire list, but I could not 
reach any local birders directly.
        This afternoon I found a very fresh loon carcass in excellent 
condition, apparently dead from a recent bullet wound to the chest. My photos 
(I will post these once I return home to Colorado later tonight) suggest a 
possible adult Arctic Loon still exhibiting some breeding plumage feathers on 
the throat, wings and back. The bill seems appropriately sized. The vent strap 
is incomplete as described by Sibley and BNA. The mass seemed too heavy but 
consistent with a fattened up adult male. I hope a local birder could run down 
there tonight and double bag it for donation to an appropriate 
institution/collection.
        It is located about 50 yards west of the fishing pier/restaurant on the 
beach.
        
        Nick Komar
        Fort Collins CO


-- 

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

Archives:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to