/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joe MacDonald [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: Monday, April 03, 2000 6:09 AM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [Masq] Yet another battle.net question
>
>
> /* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
> before posting! */
>
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> I asked this question about a year or so ago and (IIRC) David
> replied to
> it. I thought everything was fine, but last night I tried
> again and had
> the same problem I'd been having all along, so here goes with the very
> short version.
>
> Is it possible to have multiple players from behind the same
> masquerading machine play in the same battle.net game
Yes.
> (Diablo in this
> case) with people not behind that firewall? If it isn't then we can
Perhaps not. Diablo has NOT had any "nat friendly" patches applied, it
probably won't work. StarCraft and BroodWars have some patches that allow
them to work without port-forwarding.
> stop right here and I'll go on my way. If it is, then I'll
> get into the
> details of my configuration.
>
> Config details:
> Diablo 1.07 (on Win98 SE for all machines behind the masq-ing
> machine, Diablo 1.07 on some other Win or Mac platform outside)
>
> Masq machine:
> Kernel: 2.0.37 <- I've had _way_ too many problems with
> 2.2 series
> kernels up to 2.2.14 with some strange NIC
> timeout bug to move yet.
With 2.2.13 and the patch that someone (who's name I can't find right now,
sorry), there is a patch to convince it to de-masq masq'ed packets so that
two machines behind the firewall can talk.
> + Loose-UDP patch compiled in
> + using ipportfw
This is what dooms you, and what makes Diablo work. It REQUIRES 6112 (or
whatever) to be forwarded to the machine playing diablo. If it didn't
require the port forwarding, it might be able to work. I've requested that
patch twice, but I haven't made any progress getting to talk to a developer.
:(
[snip]
> Am I wasting my time?
Unfortunately, yeah. I don't even think you can have two players behind the
behind the firewall playing in different games, because you have to forward
the port to the diablo machine. Hopefully they'll have done as good a job,
or a better job, on the "nat friendly" aspect of Diablo-II than they did on
SC. Later,
Greg
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.