/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


I'm sitting here listening to netRadio on RealPlayer on my MSAQ'ed box while I
send mail. I just wanted to thank everybody that replied to my message
(Hitting the wall on MASQ (can't ping)). I know we're not supposed to send
thanks on the list - but there were a lot of responses - and I wanted post my
solution so that it can help others. I'm really impressed with Linux and I
believe one of the biggest reasons it's becoming so widespread is that there
is so much help available on the lists. It's the help that people get when
they hit the wall that turns us into happy Linux users - so thanks again.
It turns out that my problem (internal masq'ed box couldn't ping my linux masq
server) was caused by my soundcard. My SoundBlaster 16 ISA card was
conflicting with my ISA NIC (3Com 3c509).
My linux box had been running windows98 before and the configuration on the
ISA NIC card (on win98) was i/o=240 and irq=15, the soundcard had irq=10. But
the linux modprobe found the ISA NIC at x300 with irq=10. If I supplied
options with the entry in conf.modules the modprobe would fail. It found it
just fine with just "alias eth1 3c509". So I changed the irq of the SB from 10
to 7 and the soundcard continued to work fine, so I thought that took care of
the conflict (but still could not ping 192.168.0.1). Finally I just took the
SB card out and then everything started working.
take care,

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to