/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */ I recently posted a question regarding the inability of a MASQed Win98 machine (via Red Hat 6.2 gateway) to ftp and occasionally web surf. Thanks to the help of this list I was able to determine the problem was caused by receiving packets larger than the mtu of the link from the Win98 to the gateway (1400) that had the dont fragment bit set in the TCP header. My Linux machine generates an ICMP packet notifying the sender that the packet was too big, which the sender blithely ignores. Please let me know if this is beyond the scope of this discussion list, but I have a few questions: 1) What reasons are there to set the dont fragment bit other than mtu route discovery? 2) Would it be safe to ignore this bit and fragment anyway? 3) Is there another method to inform the packet sender of the reduced mtu? I have noticed several grumblings in the archives about similar problems but I couldnt find any definitive answers (other than increasing the mtu, which I am not able to do). If someone could point me in the right direction it would help tremendously, thanks Andreas M. Camacho Software Engineer [EMAIL PROTECTED] (707)792-5390 X15 _______________________________________________ Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED] Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES UNSUBSCRIBING! or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting. You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.
