/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


> We've been required by management to use WindowsMedia.

I've been through similar.  Please don't discuss FrontPage/FrontPage Server
Extensions in my hearing. [I did get everything working properly with Apache
1.3.13 on RedHat 6.1]

Do you mean you must be able to view streaming WindowsMedia files through
your network (serving is a slightly different issue)?

> Is there some sort of installable module I'll need to use to
> get it work properly?

Pardon, it is working properly.

Transparent UDP streaming would require a module (I don't know of one).
This is do to the fact that the initial connection is made via TCP 1755 and
UDP 1755 but the return connection is on a separate UDP port 1024-5000.
Kernel Masq code has no way to tie those separate connections together.
(That's also why ftp and RealAudio need modules.)

You can pick a single UDP port per viewer and port forward, this requires
setting the udp reception port on each client. WindowsMedia Player, view,
options, advanced, Streaming media, change.

[I do not think that the new RealAudio module will currently handle it,
though the source might be extended.]

I am receiving streaming content on TCP 1755 (not the TCP 80 fallback, one
level higher)

ipchains rules I use:
--
ipchains -A input -i $EXTERN -p tcp --sport 1755 -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A output -i $EXTERN -p tcp --dport 1755 -j ACCEPT
--

(watch for word-wrap)
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windowsmedia/en/serve/firewall.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windowsmedia/en/support/Server4.1/ns_admin_
tool_ivqk.htm

> Curiously, the symptom is very similar to the symptoms that
> appear when QuickTime streaming is blocked by the firewall --
> i.e. the connection seems to handshake OK, but then no video
> ever appears.  (I realize I need to patch my kernel to get QT
> working -- that's another issue though!)

It is the same issue, different handshaking though.

For QuickTime streaming: just replace the ip_masq.raudio.c file in
$KSRC/net/ipv4/ with the new one (links below).  If you've already compiled
modules, touch the file (so it's recognized as newer).  Then compile and
install as normal.

ipchains rules I use:
--
KVER=`/bin/uname -r`
# real audio proxy (not the one from the kernel sources)
# http://members.home.net/ipmasq/patches/ip_masq_raudio.c.tgz
if [ -f /lib/modules/$KVER/ipv4/ip_masq_raudio.o ]; then
  insmod ip_masq_raudio
  ipchains -A input -i $EXTERN -p tcp --dport 7070 -j ACCEPT
  ipchains -A input -i $EXTERN -p tcp --dport 554 -j ACCEPT
  ipchains -A input -i $EXTERN -p tcp --dport 6970:7170 -j ACCEPT
  ipchains -A input -i $EXTERN -p udp --dport 6970:7170 -j ACCEPT
  ipchains -A output -i $EXTERN -p tcp --dport 7070 -j ACCEPT
  ipchains -A output -i $EXTERN -p tcp --dport 554 -j ACCEPT
  ipchains -A output -i $EXTERN -p tcp --dport 6970:7170 -j ACCEPT
  ipchains -A output -i $EXTERN -p udp --dport 6970:7170 -j ACCEPT
fi
--

alternate download locations:
http://mirrors.indyramp.com/ipmasq/patches/ip_masq_raudio.c.tgz
ftp://ftp.e-infomax.com/ipmasq/patches/ip_masq_raudio.c.tgz

Hope this helps,

Lourdes

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to