/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


I am having a problem getting from my iMac to the net. I'm routing thru
a Linux box. I've had this working. But lost it when I tried adding a
"reconnect-after-power-failure" plan. Not sure exactly what it was that
caused it but I have a script of the advice I rec'd from linux-newbie
that started it all.

But before I bore anyone with details I'll post my set-up.

I'm running RH6.1 I've been at it for a month.

Anyway.....

/sbin/route:
Destinations are the normal: lo and eth0 to my iMac and Windows 98
machines. Ping works with all 3 machines (192.168.0.0) and my static IP.

PPP sets up the default route to my remote connection (208.49.204.226)
and:

Destination            Gateway

208.49.204.226     *

(I'm wondering if that is creating an feedback loop)

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward = 1
/etc/sysconfig/network    FORWARD_IPV4=true

I tried: sbin/ipchains -F -L but get "can't use -L with -F" reply.

I've read the majority of the HOWTO (everything that applied) several
times.

I swear I've tried every routing combination i could think of.

I have literally exhausted the history setting several times just trying
to fix this on my own. I set this up on my own after spending a week
(about 40 hours alone) trying to set up eth0 and ppp0 individually. So I
thought I could fix the problem I'm having now. Yea right!

The only major change I remember is trying to set up the reconnect
commands in runlevel 4 as per advice from Linux-newbie. But like I said
I do have the correspondence. But tracing my steps doesn't provide a
clue.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it. I've been on the net and
computers in general for 10 years but sad to say it's been MacOS and
Windows and lots of dedicated machines. So this is kinda greek to me.

TIA,

John

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to