/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


>So, the questions:
>1. Do you have any idea why I'm stuck with rc.firewall now?

You shouldn't be stuck with anything.  If you don't like it, 
delete the reference calling it from /etc/rc.d/rc.local.


>2. The HowTo claims that this aliasing trick to use a single ethernet card
>is a terrible idea: a big security risk and also slows things down a lot.
>Performance has been fine, and my cablemodem ISP (mediaone) supposedly is
>already protecting me with a firewall. 

Their firewall might stop some things but it won't protect you
from other evil MediaOne hackers.


>Is this any worse to do this under
>Linux than it is under MacOS? I'm not loathe to drop $10 on a network
>adapter, but I am running out of available slots!

MacOS is a decent OS but I have no idea how to do it under that OS
and not Linux.  I'm sure there are some decent commercial servers
though.  Anyway.. buy another NIC!


>3. I downloaded a 2.2.13 precompiled kernel from
><http://netspace.org/~thedrick/linux/>. Is there any way to find out whether
>this kernel has support for aliasing compiled in?

Never.. never.. never.. use some stranger kernel.  Its like 
jumping into a stranger's car!  Bad news!


>4. If setting up IPMasquerading on Linux is so fraught with risk, maybe I
>should just run Mac-On-Linux and use my existing MacOS routing program?!

Why is it full of risk?

--David
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|  David A. Ranch - Linux/Networking/PC hardware         [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
!----                                                                    ----!
`----- For more detailed info, see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch -----'

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to