/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


Hi,

I had started to set up IP masquerading on my linux box using instructions
from the LinuxPPC FAQ-O-Matic
(http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jonh/lppc-serve/cache/482.html) and also the
IPMASQ-HowTo (http://ipmasq.cjb.net). I've been running IPNetRouter with
only a single ethernet adapter on MacOS for about a year now with great
success. I'm just using aliasing to assign a virtual static IP address on
the internal network to the router machine; everything works great. After
trying for a while to get routing to work in linux I realized that nothing I
was doing could possibly have resulted in a virtual internal network address
for my router and tried to back out the changes. I had created an
/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall file as described in the HowTo, and there hadn't been
one before, so I tried to get rid of it. Unfortunately, my machine crashed
with lots of error messages when I tried to boot it. The only way I could
get it to come back up was to reboot with a ramdisk, mount the file system,
and put rc.firewall back.

So, the questions:
1. Do you have any idea why I'm stuck with rc.firewall now?

2. The HowTo claims that this aliasing trick to use a single ethernet card
is a terrible idea: a big security risk and also slows things down a lot.
Performance has been fine, and my cablemodem ISP (mediaone) supposedly is
already protecting me with a firewall. Is this any worse to do this under
Linux than it is under MacOS? I'm not loathe to drop $10 on a network
adapter, but I am running out of available slots!

3. I downloaded a 2.2.13 precompiled kernel from
<http://netspace.org/~thedrick/linux/>. Is there any way to find out whether
this kernel has support for aliasing compiled in?

4. If setting up IPMasquerading on Linux is so fraught with risk, maybe I
should just run Mac-On-Linux and use my existing MacOS routing program?!

Thanks,

Dave

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to