/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


>>>>> "DF" == Daniell Freed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

    DF> Now, I'm no expert at Squid (and I imagine there is a Squid mailing
    DF> list) but if you set up Squid on the firewall, it can act as a
    DF> transperant proxy server, meaning that it will sit on your firewall
    DF> and all web traffic (as well as some other traffic depending on your
    DF> configuration) will be proxied by Squid.  This doesn't require any
    DF> changes to your client machine's browsers (I don't think).

    DF> I don't think you need to bother writing any special IPChains rules
    DF> to do this.

But it can only be a transparent proxy server if I configure netscape to use
it as a proxy server (then I guess it's not totally transparent, is it?).
You must manually configure each system's browser to send url requests to the
proxy server on the required port.  Now I _could_ use ipchains to reject any
outgoing packets on port 80 and thereby ensure that noone bypasses the
proxy.  Instead, I'd like to use ipchains to transparently redirect the
outgoing packet to the squid port and let squid handle it.

-- 
Jake Colman                     

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

"Every time I think I've idiot-proofed something someone comes up with a
better idiot"

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to