/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


Now, I'm no expert at Squid (and I imagine there is a Squid mailing list) but if you 
set up Squid on
the firewall, it can act as a transperant proxy server, meaning that it will sit on 
your firewall and
all web traffic (as well as some other traffic depending on your configuration) will 
be proxied by
Squid.   This doesn't require any changes to your client machine's browsers (I don't 
think).

I don't think you need to bother writing any special IPChains rules to do this.


--
Daniell Freed
Computer Services
Dewitt, Ross, & Stevens

He who fights with monsters might take care
lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss,
the abyss gazes also into you.

Beyond Good and Evil
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzche






Jake Colman wrote:

> /* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
>
> I am thinking of installing squid as a proxy server primarily so that I can
> monitor which URLs are being browsed.  Is there a way for me to use ipchains
> on my firewall server to take all output on a specific interface (ppp0 for
> the time being) that is destined for a remote web server, and redirect it to
> the squid proxy server running on my firewall server?  Of course, output from
> the firewall server should itself _not_ be redirected.
>
> I should mention that I already have my server up and running configured with
> ipmasq and using a simple ipchains ruleset.  The masq and ipchains ruleset
> are working and my private network successfully connects to the internet.
>
> TIA!
>
> --
> Jake Colman
>
> Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
> Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
> 902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
> Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                                        E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                                           web: http://www.ppllc.com
>
> "Every time I think I've idiot-proofed something someone comes up with a
> better idiot"
>
> _______________________________________________
> Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
>UNSUBSCRIBING!
> or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
> You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
> Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to