/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Adam [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: Monday, November 22, 1999 9:13 PM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [Masq] Deep inside protocol
> 
> 
> /* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ 
> before posting! */
> 
> 
> Hi
> 
> I am electronic engineer and I started to think about small 
> masquerading box.
> 
> Internet will be "supplied" by RS-232 running at 115200bps, 
> full duplex
> with Point to Point protocol.

Some of us call this a "modem" connection.  (bear with me, I just finished
beating the tar our of some files on Solaris, that are designed for GNU
systems)

> 
> I plan to use Ethernet controller to make access for _only_ 4 "hidden"
> machines connected to the local area network. Something like that:
> 
> 192.168.0.2
> 192.168.0.3    LAN       |----------My box --------------------|
> 192.168.0.4 <==========> 192.168.0.1-- 212.244.xxx.xxx == 
> RS-232--->internet
> 192.168.0.5
> 
> Where can I find more detailed information about all rules of 
> masquerading
> like

The FIRST place to look is the ipmasq mini-howto (which isn't mini), on
http://ipmasq.cjb.net/  At the same time I would get a linux box, and
install the latest kernel, and latest ipchains, and possibly latest
ipmasqadm tools.  Read the man pages, for some additional information not in
the howto.  Then, if you're REALLY ambitions, head for the kernel source,
and read it to find exactly what it all does.  :)  None of these are
available in PDF that I know of, but many web pages have this info.

> 
> 1. Detailed rules of port assigning/changing  when packet goes through
> masquerade

I suspect that this would take reading the kernel documentation, or the
sources.  I don't think it's in the man pages.

> 2. What to do with normal TCP and what to do with UDP and others ?
> 3. What will happen if sent request will never come back

It will time out.

> 4. Which fields of TCP (and others) packet should be 
> processed and what are
> all rules.

The rules are waht you make them.  Have fun, enjoy your reading.  
        Greg

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to