/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
> >Umm, I bet redhat will do alot of things that will piss some people off,
> Yeah.. I'm in a wait and see attitude with them. Mandrake is a good distro
> (better than RH) but if Redhat starts going south, I'll switch to something
> else.
Umm, I already switched to mandrake. A company that has a stock comparable to
microsoft. don't like it.
> >> I bet you are going through a massive NAT box. This is common for
> Cablemodem
> >> / DSL links. The question is.. are they monitoring you?
> >
> Well, for example, I was trying to get to my WWW server behind my cablemodem
> from
> my own static dial-up ISP address. Though the firewall was setup right, I kept
> seeing that my WWW requests were coming from another IP address. After a
> little
> digging, I figured that my ISP had setup a transparent caching WWW proxy
> server.
> They do this to save on Internet traffic. Well, I hated this fact, told them
> to NOT proxy my traffic and within 5 minutes, they removed me from that box.
Interesting approach, but I want them to give me something, I wonder if there's a
way to figure out if they proxy a secure transmission (that is a violation) It
still might go through their proxy, but the question remains, would their admins
are stupid enough to log it ? ... Basically I'm looking for leverage, next time I
talk to them. (keep in mind you are literally 45 or more minutes on hold before you
get a hold of anyone)
> So, what about @Home and this weird IP? Its hard to say. It might be just a
> fancy NAT box. But it also wouldn't surprise me if it DOES monitor your
> traffic in terms of:
Here's a nightmare,
With pump I will always get the same IP address. With dhcpcd I get almost a new one
every time I run it. After I run dhcpcd I rum pump and my old IP returns !, here's
more twist. Since dhcpcd always stays until the lease time is over, I had do modify
it's time to tell it that the lease time is infinite. After about 5 hours of
surfing/playing Descent, I noticed that my connection was slow. So I ping my server
at work, and got a reply (average) 5230.3 ms(same for other sites)(traceroute was
useless) .. This is odd, so I loaded netscape, and started few downloads from the
server, each download had 2.0k download rate, no matter from where on the net I
downloaded. At this point I run pump, my old IP returned and the ping time was back
to normal. I'll do more testing, but could anyone speculate here ? give me some
pointers on what to try when it happens again ?
> Their out there but I think only on the high end.
>
> --David
> .----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
> | David A. Ranch - Linux/Networking/PC hardware [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
> !---- ----!
> `----- For more detailed info, see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch -----'
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.