/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */



My LAN is behind a linux firewall, which is Cable Modem'd to the world.
Clients are Windows.....although my personal machine has linux on it as
well. I noticed some intersting things going on and I was wondering if
someone might have an explanation.

FTP From a reasonably fast server (ftp.cdrom.com) of an 8M file.....
----------------------------------
...to the firewall machine: 64.5s (124.4k)
...to a windows client behind the firewall: 120.1s (66.8k)
...to a linux client (same machine as the windows client): 67.5s (er, a
little less than 124k)

The windows machine takes twice as long.  But before anyone tells me the
answer, here is
another test I did:

...4 files between 7-10M (totaling 31M) were downloaded from the same
ftp server simultaneously
under windows and they all arrived in an average of 127s. Doing the math
reveals about 260k download
rate.
-----------------------------------

Why ?

Are packets forced to (a) certain sizes under windows? What's going on
that causes what seems to be
a voluntary scaling/regulating of the data rate? Why doesn't linux do
this? Any help would be appreciated.
It's a peculiar phenomenon that I'm sure has a reasonable answer.

Thanks in advance to anyone with a clue.





_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/

Reply via email to