/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */



> Mario,

    You may wish to explore a CPU upgrade. In the help files for the 2.2.x kernel, 
under the 'CPU is to slow for bandwith' section it says that a 10Mbps ethernet
card can bring a pentium 120 to it's knees. I use a P-233 MMX and get 300+ KB/s  when 
I ftp to sunsite from behind my masq box. I also have a cable modem with
10Mbps download and 768 Kbps upload.

Hope it helps!

-Paul

>
> From: "Mario Gaucher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 22:20:10 -0400 (EDT)
> Reply-To: "Mario Gaucher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [Masq]  IP Masq and Speed...
>
> Hi!
>
> I have what I can call "a speed problem" with IP Masq....
> Here is the problem:
> I have a cable modem connected to eth0 (24.xxx.xxx.xxx) and my local
> network to eth1 (192.168.xxx.xxx).
> When I download a file from my ISP ftp server, I get ~125kB/s on my
> Masquerading box and 80-90kB/s on masqueraded computers... (Win98,
> OS/2 or Linux). I get the same kind of result on the web server.
> Some more results (FTP transfer between my masquerading server and
> any client):
> when I connect to 192.168.xxx.xxx (local net) on my server:
> +/- 225kB/s
> when I connect to the external net (cable modem address):
> +/- 925kB/s
>
> Masquerading box is running with RedHat 5.2 with the latest 2.0.36
> kernel on a Cyrix 6x86 P120+ with 16M ram.
>
> So, it seems to be a Masquerading issue... so what can I do to speed
> up this thing?
>
> - - - - -
> There are more fools in the world than there are people.
>             -Heine, Heinrich (1797-1856)
> ICQ #3805897
>
> --__--__--
>



_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/

Reply via email to