/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */



Hello all,

I've been working throughout the summer on setting up an IP masquerading 
firewall.  I just recently had a 384k dedicated pipe installed to serve 
as our internet connection.

I was running RedHat Linux 5.2.
When the pipe was first installed I plugged in my firewall, and 
everything worked.  It was beautiful, nice speed, nice everything.

So then I decided to upgrade to RedHat Linux 6.0, for the advantage of 
the newer kernel and for many packages with security fixes.

I installed it without a hitch, but for whatever reason I could no longer 
access my internet connection.

The machien I'm using has two ethernet cards, both identical 3com 905B 
PCI cards (Vortex).  I know both cards are functional because they both 
worked fine with RH5.2.  But now for some reason with RH6.0 the 
connection to the pipe no longer works.  How so you may ask?  Well...
when I try to ping anything through that interface it doesn't work.
The ping hangs, doesn't time out, just sits there, and I get 100% 
pacakge lost.  The lights light up on the card and the hub, but I can't 
ping the router, or anything else.

For clarities sake... our setup is like this:
internet -> dsu/csu -> router -> hub -> linux firewall -> LAN

I tried switching the ethernet cables around and chaning settings so that 
the internal card was now the external card and vice versa, same problem, 
no internet, pleanty of LAN.  I then reinstalled RH5.2 and everythign 
worked again.  RH5.2 is running kernel 2.0.36-07.
I've tried RH6.0, Mandrake 6.0, and various kernel's inbetween including 
2.0.36-3 and i believe 2.2.5 is with RH6 and 2.2.9 w/ mandrake.

I narrowed down the problem to the kernel when I decided I would just use 
5.2 (since it worked) and do all the updates.  But when I upgraded the 
kernel to 2.0.36-3 nothign worked.  I read that kernel 2.0.36-3 had an 
updated 3c59x driver (which is what the vortex card i have uses) so I 
thought perhaps that was causing the problem.  So I copied the module (.o 
file) from the first kernel over the new kernels' .o file and that seemed 
to work.  I have to try that again thoguh just to make sure.  The problem 
there too is that if I do that I still can't upgrade to the newer 2.2 
kernels.  So I tried downloading the source for the driver and 
recompiling several different kernels but still no luck.  I then tried a 
Win95 machien plugged into the pipe directly, that didn't even work. It 
happened to be using the same kind of card (vortex 3com 905b).  Then I 
tried a laptop with some other kind of card and it worked fine.  Coudl it 
be the card?  

ANyone have suggestions of a good ethernet card that I coudl purchase?

Also, in case it pertains, my external tcp/ip settings are like so:

router: xxx.xxx.xxx.221
firewall: xxx.xxx.xxx.222  netmask: 255.255.255.252

I appologize if the topic of my query strayed a bit away from IP 
masq'ing, but ultimately this is related, and I've been wracking my brain 
for the past 48 hours straight.  So if you have any thoughts ideas 
comments suggestions I'd greatly appreciate them.  Thanks a bunch.

Sincerely,
Josh Estelle


_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/

Reply via email to