/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


        In message 14 of Vol 1 #191 Glenn Davis replied to John D. Hardin about
VPN using "Extralink" via UUNET. We have "Extranet" from Bay networks at my
company. I have a cable modem from Mediaone connected directly to my Windoze 98
PC. I can create a VPN to the office that works fine. I have tried to make the
same VPN connection with my Windoze 98 PC connected to my home network, using a
Redhat 6.0 Linux system for the Gateway/Firewall to the cable modem. It will
not work. I found that the VPN setup uses UDP port 500, so I made the port pass
through. I used tcpdump to watch the network traffic and found a request came
in on the internal NIC and out on the cable modem NIC. But there was no
response. I can only assume that the other end did some security checks and
decided it would not reply to the request, not even tell me NO.

        I have read in several places that masquerading can not be used with
some of the IPsec because there is a checksum over both addresses and ports
used. If someone has more information about this it would help. I would really
like to be able to make a VPN connection from my Windoze 98 PC through my
Gateway/Firewall, or have the Gateway/Firewall be able to make the VPN
connection that any of the system behind my Gateway/Firewall can use.

        Attached is the README.TXT file for the "Extranet" software I have
installed on my Windoze 98 PC. Maybe this will help someone contact someone at
Bay and they can have a technical discussion. I would, but I do not know enough
about the IPsec to ask the right questions and then total understand the
answer.

README.TXT

----------
Extranet Access Client v2.0 Readme.txt

=============================================
      Contents
=============================================

  I.   Introduction
  II.  New Features
  III. Known Issues
  IV.  Getting Help

=============================================
I.    Introduction
=============================================

The Extranet Access Client is a Windows 
application that lets you create and store 
connection information for tunneling into an
Extranet Access Switch connected to a remote
corporate network.  The Extranet Access Client 
uses the IPsec protocol with the ISAKMP/Oakley 
Key Exchange protocol to authenticate and 
secure an end-to-end connection into a remote 
network.

To run the Extranet Access Client, click on the
Start menu on the taskbar and select 
Programs->Bay Networks->Extranet Access Client.

=============================================
II.   New Features
=============================================
A. Dialup from Extranet Access Client

The Extranet Access Client now contains a Dialup
entry to allow you to select a Dialup connection
to Dial before establishing the Extranet Connection.
This combines the functionality of the Extranet
Connection Manager and Extranet Access Client into
one application for enhanced ease of use.

B. Split Tunneling

The Extranet Access Client can now receive specific
routes from a Contivity Extranet Switch so that only
packets destined for the Remote Corporate Network
travel through the Extranet Connection.

C. Next Token and New Pin Support

Increased support for Token Cards has been added.
The Extranet Client now allows the user to enter
Next Token and New PIN information while establishing
an Extranet Connection.

D. Password Enabled Screen Saver Requirement

As an added measure of security, a Network Administrator
can require that a user has a Password Enabled Screen
Saver configured on their PC.  This will protect an
Extranet Connection from others when a user has walked
away from their desk.

E. Entrust Certificate Support

The Extranet Access Client now supports the Entrust
Entelligence Client for Authentication with 
Certificates.

=============================================
III.   Known Issues:
=============================================

=============================================
III.    Getting Help
=============================================

Extranet Access Client Help:

The Extranet Access client includes general 
usage information and extensive troubleshooting 
information.  To access the Help, run the 
Extranet Access Client from the Start Menu 
Bay Networks Program group.  Once the application 
has started open the Contents from the Help menu.

Contacting Bay Networks Technical Solutions 
Centers:

Billerica, MA
Phone: 800-2LANWAN (800-252-6926); 
enter Express Routing 
Code (ERC): 176#
Fax:   978-916-3514

Santa Clara, CA         
Phone: 408-764-1188

Valbonne, France        
Phone: 33-4-92-96-69-68 
Fax:   33-4-92-96-69-98

Sydney, Australia       
Phone: 61-2-9927-8800   
Fax:   61-2-9927-8811

Tokyo, Japan    
Phone: 81-3-5402-0180   
Fax:   81-3-5402-0173

----------



_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/

Reply via email to