/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
Well, folks, I am writing to you through my now functioning masquerading
Linux-driven Mac II. Since I last wrote asking for help on my routing
(I figured it out), I added memory and found a cheap processor upgrade
on e-Bay; it is now running at 33 mhz, with 20 mb of ram (7.8
bogomips!). My server is providing a dns caching-only server; and the
performance is not that bad. I am complicating my firewall script to
make it more robust (it has already repelled three curious individuals).
There is really only two things I want to address further (beyond
firewalling better): 1. Sometimes I get http errors when hitting some
sites, or get "not found" errors (usually both are corrected by
reloading). Does anyone have any idea how I can prevent this?
2. The second issue is improving on browsing speed. Performance is not
bad (particularly on ftp downloads), but I am the only one on the
network at present; I would like to do optimal. Squid's web caching
sounds like an idea; but the last time I tried to install squid, it
caused serious numerous errors (I am running Debian 2.1). I would like
to know, before I try it again, that there is something worthwhile in
doing so. Particularly, on such a slow machine, will it provide adequate
caching to provide something of a boost to web-browsing?
On a similar note, what does tproxyd do? I tried to use it, thinking
that if I gave it the IP of @Home's proxy (tproxyd -t xxs.xxx.xxx 8080)
that it would boost the speed of internal masq'd machines, but it caused
my box to freeze (and didn't seem to boost the speed before it froze).
Right now I have put in the the proxy (http://proxy.xxx.home.com:8080)
for each machine's browser, and that seems to work. Any thoughts on
optimizing browsing configurations?
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/