= HINT: Search the archives at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! (Sorry if this comed over twice, had some mail addess problems) I just loaded suse on a laptop with a PCMCIA ethernet card (eth0) (thinker.kramer.ne.mediaone.net 192.168.1.4). It is connected behind my RHL5.2 firewall (kramer.ne.mediaone.net internal NIC:192.168.1.1). I can't seem to see the outside world from thinker (it says somethjing like "no route to host" when I ping), unless I type "route add default gw 192.168.1.1" on my laptop. Then everything works. I'm trying to figure out how to get the equivalent of this command into my /etc/route.conf. What I have now looks right to me and appears to match the book, but it doesn't work. My /etc/route.conf/ looks like this: 127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 lo 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 eth0 default 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.255 eth0 Before I type "route add default gw 192.168.1.1" route outputs Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface default kramer.ne.media 255.255.255.255 UGH 0 0 0 eth0 thinker.kramer. * 255.255.255.255 UH 1 0 0 dummy0 192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo After I type "route add default gw 192.168.1.1" route outputs Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface default kramer.ne.media 255.255.255.255 UGH 0 0 0 eth0 thinker.kramer. * 255.255.255.255 UH 1 0 0 dummy0 192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo default kramer.ne.media 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0 I also tried changing the last line of route.conf to default 192.168.1.1 and that didn't work either. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. -- ------------------------------------------------------------------- DDDD David Kramer [EMAIL PROTECTED] DK KD http://start.at/david.kramer DKK D DK KD It is appallingly obvious that our technology DDDD exceeds our humanity. Albert Einstein _______________________________________________ Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://tiffany.indyramp.com/mailman/listinfo/masq Admin requests can be handled by web (above) or [EMAIL PROTECTED] PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting. You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
