Thank you Vicki for identifying the house! I’ve been racking my brain to 
remember because it didn’t seem like Dior & Givenchy sourced high-end 
embroidery from Lesage. I met Odette Arpin (Meilleur Ouvrier de France en 
dentelle Cluny) in 2002 & she showed me a photo (same one?) of a long gown with 
hundreds of leaves on the bodice & a floaty layered chiffon skirt. It was 
strapless & dreamy! I was under the impression that the leaves were gold, as in 
metallic thread, but maybe that’s a factor of my lousy French & the fact she 
didn’t speak English. Nevertheless, she was a gracious hostess & showed us her 
exhibit of personal items (fans, gloves, parasol etc—some of which were lace) 
that had belonged to a 19thC Portuguese queen. She also autographed her Cluny 
book that I had bought in a miniature tabac in LaBourboule, where we were 
staying. We were a small group of crazy quilt stitchers & we used our mid-week 
day off to make a whirlwind tour of Brioude. We also found a!
  haberdashery where handmade lace (Torchon-like trims & insertions) was still 
sold by the yard & a brocante with 19thC fashion magazines. We all bought some 
of each! So—designers have used handmade lace sporadically thru the 
years/collections but it’s way too expensive for pret-a-porter. It’s a very 
thin slice of the fashion market. Sincerely, Susan Hottle 

Sent from my iPad

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to