I rarely comment on auctions as I am often "chastised" by keen buyers who argue that publicity about an auction puts the prices up. In some ways they are right especially if i happen to highlight as special bobbin, but i doubt they need worry if i am just mentioning an auction, after all the keen buyers all know about what auctions are current.

However there is a current auction (and few before it) that have presented a collectors presentation and notes about the bobbins in this collection.. as is! i.e. on a page, on a card, whatever the the collector used. The auctioneers have chosen not to remove the bobbins  from their "environment" and sell them as is.

I like this idea especially as we are now going through an age when the appears to be a changing of the guard of collectors as they get older, other things in their life take priority, or they just think "been there and done that"! (I am sure there are many more reasons) Their notes and thoughts are valuable to historians.

I have recently written an article that i hope to get published about an older member of our community who had some interesting bobbins that she wanted to share with me (digitally) that were of special interest. She has no internet but went to the trouble of photographing the bobbins (many many times until she got them right!.. such patience) got them printed and sent them to an intermediary who passed them on to me.  What an effort, what a love for her beloved occupation of lace teaching for more years than many of you have lived.  The notes that she included were so interesting, they gave insight to years gone by and in one case opened up a genre that I had not come across and thus never thought of putting in my data base.

I would like to offer encouragement to you collectors not to lose the personal notes on the bobbins you purchase for you collection. They are informative and in my case "emotional" (my male, stiff upper lip has disappeared!! smile)

Often families do not know what to do with collection and rightly try to recoup some money from the collection for the family.

Some decide to offer their collection to a local or a specialist museum in lace/bobbins whatever. I like this idea except that in my experience a few of such collections often never see the light of day, just kept in a box in the museum.  Worse than that some museums refuse to entertain giving free academic access to these collections placing their need for money (museums do cost a lot to run) but to put their financial needs before public education strikes me as being unbalanced for what i believe to be a museums charter. (I admit it is an ethical question)

If you offer a collection to a museum, do ascertain where their values lie, is it in education or financial gain? How do they balance these two needs and do they offer free academic access to their collections for educational purposes?


Yes, I do have a bee in my bonnet about this that gifts, often (especially for bobbins) well older than the date for the non-copyright-fee, that contain interesting even valuable local history happenings and events stuck in a few pencil boxes unless you pay to see them.

Forgive me for getting worked up again.

I am sure you all know that without Arachne and few special collectors none of our research a writings about lace bobbins could never have been done (that includes a few museums too)


PS I have started to write up the East Devon/ Downtown project. When it is  finished it will be a companion publication along with the Dictionary ( www.brianlemin.com ) Oh yes I am still short of decorated Downtons and Inscribed Honitons

Hope you are all keeping well. Take care


Brian




--
Brian
Cooranbong. Australia

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to